Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worksharing error: Can't create local copy without overwriting central first

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
xxjwilson
3138 Views, 7 Replies

Worksharing error: Can't create local copy without overwriting central first

ISSUE: Worksharing does not work. I have followed the worksharing workflow to the letter.

SYMPTOMS: I created a model, turned on worksharing and saved as central model to our (local) networked server, that all users have access to. Once I close and re-open the model I am able to create a local copy, work on it and synchronize with central as normal. The problem comes when another user tries to open that model, a warning pops up that says the user must do a save-as back to the network and over-write the central, making the new one the central after save. Now when I try to open that same model, I get the same error message and have to perform the same steps. Thus the entire idea behind worksharing is null if we have to over-writing each others work.

Its as if only one local copy can be made at a time!

PLEASE HELP!!!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
abulla
in reply to: xxjwilson

It sounds like the new user is opening the central file, and not creating their own local. Have them click on the central file from the Open dialogue in Revit, and make sure the "Create New Local File" box is checked.

A good way to see if a user is working in the central file or their local file is by using the Worksharing Monitor add-in. Also, check the file name at the top of the screen when the file is open. If the file is appended with the user's name, then it is their local file.

Message 3 of 8
xxjwilson
in reply to: abulla

Thanks for the response.

I thought this might be the case so I tried to walk them through it. The "create new local" checkbox is un-checked and greyed out, and cannot be changed,as if the file was not a "central" model.....but it is. 

Message 4 of 8
brettgatti

Are both of you mapped the same to the location of the central model?  Ex: both of you are using the same drive letter designation and/or the same UNC path?

If this is different it can cause the issue that you describe in your follow-up post (local copy box not being available).

Message 5 of 8
xxjwilson
in reply to: brettgatti

Everyone is mapped to the e drive on our server. However when mapping the drive, the letter e is not available, so we're all using the letter P for our project directory.

P:(\\server\e\)

The error message (attached) does coincide with this thought however.

Message 6 of 8
TonyVav

After opening the central file you can "save as" to the local user drive. Thus creating a local copy to the central file.

Message 7 of 8
xxjwilson

I believe this was the answer. Some of our mapped network drives were named using the IP of the drive and others were mapped using a directory path, even though the destination was the same place, having conflicting naming cuased the problem. It all appears to be working as expected now.

Thank you for the assistance,

Message 8 of 8
push_pull

I am having this same issue.  I am glad I know the problem but I need help with the specifics of a solution.

Our set up:

PC: Windows 7 Running Revit 2016 BDS

Mac: Running windows 10 in VMware

Connected via Wireless network, we can access eachothers drives using our user names and passwords.

We have tried hosting on either machine.  Because of this issue only whom ever saves the file as the central file has access.

How can we make the path the same if the file is on one of our machines?

Our saved paths are wildly different:

PC: \\iMAC\David's Public Folder\753_central Model.rvt

Mac: z:\Public\753_central Model.rvt

I have discovered how to change the VM drive from Z: to something else. But that doesn't totally account for the different path names to the same location on my machine.

Does this mean we need a 3rd machine to host the central file?

I also read somewhere that we both need to be on the same OS.  I find bits and pieces to this puzzle but no explicit solution to the particulars of our problem.

Thanks for your time!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report