Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WORKSETS

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Jarom05
422 Views, 10 Replies

WORKSETS

So how do I set up a Workset so that my colleague and I can both work on the same project. The help in revit is not much help and I can not find anything anywhere else. There is not even anything in the search for Revit on Autodesk website. Can some one help?
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jayspot
in reply to: Jarom05

I was told by Autodesk NOT to use worksets on an MEP project. Use element borrowing instead. We had some major issues with worksharing while using worksets and that ended up being the problem.
Message 3 of 11
nice772

Jayspot.
Hold on a sec, if you don't use workset, how do you make a central file, and worksharing with borrowing elements?
and how would you control the visibiliy?

quiet don't understand there.

creating workset is not a simple task, it requires complete understanding of system, how to approach the project for all trade.
Message 4 of 11
jayspot

You still enable worksharing, otherwise you can't make a central file. However, all objects are placed on the default workset. Visibility can be controlled with filters.
Message 5 of 11
GWalson

You need to create a central file to have multiple people working on the same project file at the same time. To create the central file you must enable the worksharing. (just like you stated)
It also depends on the project that your working on and how you create worksets. Does the project have M E and P in it? If so, you may want to create a workset for each discipline. What is allows you to do, is to load only the discipline specific workset when opening the project. This will increase the performance of your local copy.

Glen Walson - Ideate Inc.

But if it is only a one discipline project, you could keep everything on the default workset1. Worksets are not ment to control visibility, so creating filter is a better way to control element visibility.
Message 6 of 11
nice772

I believe NOT creating a workset may cause more problem with work sharing (hitting each others) I don't know if you guys have a chance to see Martin Schmid class at this years AU, that lecture explain to you whole concept of system, workset, worksharing and why we're keep hitting each other.

In order to keeping smooth workflow, the system has to be controled. if you dont care to begin with, whole system become unmanagable.

I personally do not believe saying "Autodesk suggest not to use workset." no offence jayspot, yet the workset concept is one of the reason why we're using RME.
Message 7 of 11
jayspot

I'm just telling you what I was told by an Autodesk employee who came to our office to help us with some major worksharing issues we were having. Until I see some documentation (from Autodesk) thoroughly explaining the proper use of worksets, I will not be using them. This is a topic that I would like to see Kyle discuss in his blog.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

For M and P I would also suggest not checking out worksets. Only element
borrow. Jay is not suggesting "no worksets" just do not check out the
workset. You will run into major problems with HVAC layouts. If you do your
users will constantly have to relinquish and save to central. By element
borrowing you will avoid this. Just make sure to assign work to users say by
area or floor. This will save you many headaches. I'm electrical and we use
worksets. We break them up by system and floor...1st floor power. Then we
just work. If you are placing objects just make sure that the workset you
want the components placed on is selected in the workset tool ((Not
Editable) power_1). Note: there are certain commands that require that the
workset be editable. In that case I will check out the appropriate workset
do the function, check the workset back in and save to central.

--
Margaret Wiggins
Harley Ellis Devereaux
Southfield Mi
mwiggins@hedev.com
Revit MEP 2008 - 2300 build
wrote in message news:5826486@discussion.autodesk.com...
I believe NOT creating a workset may cause more problem with work sharing
(hitting each others) I don't know if you guys have a chance to see Martin
Schmid class at this years AU, that lecture explain to you whole concept of
system, workset, worksharing and why we're keep hitting each other.

In order to keeping smooth workflow, the system has to be controled. if you
dont care to begin with, whole system become unmanagable.

I personally do not believe saying "Autodesk suggest not to use workset." no
offence jayspot, yet the workset concept is one of the reason why we're
using RME.
Message 9 of 11
jayspot

Margaret ,

Thanks for clarifying that for me. That is what I meant. Worksets are enabled, just not checked out.

jason
Message 10 of 11
KyleB_Autodesk

I just wanted to point the folks on this thread to a recent thread referencing our recently released White Paper, which covers Worksharing Best Practices in depth.

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=682689

Cheers,
Kyle B
Revit MEP Product Manager

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 11
wcrane

I think what you mean is not to "Check Out" worksets. You simply edit an element which you borrow and relinquish it when you save to central.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report