Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worksets vs Linking?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
gags14
1384 Views, 8 Replies

Worksets vs Linking?

Just an opinion on the what has seemed to work out the best out there-
Linking or Workset?
MEP firm that received arch model. HVAC, plumbing/fp and electrical will be working on it so 3 people max.
Each trade links the model or one model with 3 seperate worksets?
what are the thoughts out there>
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jlwetzel
in reply to: gags14

ive found the best way is to keep the models in one central file. we split our models up based upon physical/building size. say a building is 50,000 sqft. we would split that into separate PME models, then use Navisworks for collision detection. Using links slows the coordination within revit because you can only select 2 different models to check against.
Message 3 of 9
Martin__Schmid

You need to link in the Architecture model... however, you don't necessarily need multiple worksets... you can all work within the default Workset1, or you can create multiple worksets if you find the need. As the other response points out, you may need to make multiple models due to performance/hardware/memory limitations.... the larger/more complex the project, the likelihood of this increases.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 9

I read where for larger projects were being split up into separate models and then linked to each other and a main MEP central.  Our training class and all Autodesk tutorials i've seen dont suggest this.  We are having major performance issues and we were thinking about creating an M/E model, a Plumbing model, and have them linked to the MEP central.  Our problems are that we dont know how to show any views newly created in the Plbg model to show in the MEP model as well as being able to connect equipment from the Plbg model while in the M/E model.  Im using MEP 2010.  We dont know what the best way is for a 4 story bldg split in half (2 sheets per floor, per disipline).  One MEP model, or separate M/E & Plbg models.  Now its easy to say which one to use, but how to use the split option is hard to find anywhere.

Message 5 of 9
Jrobker
in reply to: jasondbrown1

I would suggest not splitting up the model.

The intention of the software really isn't built that way.

You won't be able to have logical systems for connectivity and scheduling.

Honestly, I don't think that splitting the model up would save you any time.

Try putting the different links and disciplines on different worksets and just loading the ones you need.

If video games were made with revit we'd still be playing PONG.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 6 of 9
crigoli
in reply to: Jrobker

I agree with Jrobker.  Personally, I think the only reason to split the model up into different disciplines is if the model gets too large, say over 200Mbytes.  But the only thing is, it's only to your advantage if you think of that at the start of the project because spliting it up mid-design will be too much of a hassle and something is most certain to go wrong.  I've found to have 1 model with separate worksets, we even break the worksets down even further, Electrical-Power, Electrical-Lighting.  The only issue with that though is making sure everyone follows the same flow of work.  The strength of your model is only as strong as the weakest Revit user using it.

Message 7 of 9
carl.heintz
in reply to: crigoli

We tried working with a main model and then having an interior model linked to avoid having heavy 3d families to slow the workflow down and it was great. However, I understand that there is a workset function that may be better although it seems a bit more complicated when it comes to file versions. For example I believe we made it a synchronised model from v03 onwards and when I saved v04 and worked on it then moved v03 then it appears that the v04 somehow is syncing with v03 (why?) and I had to move it back v03 in order to make it work again. I am sure there is a logic to do the same thing in another way but it is not that intuitive and yet another item to learn and memorise.

Also, linking models appear to work in revit LT but synchronised model and worksets does not appear to work in LT should you not have the full version but I am not an expert in the function of either.

Message 8 of 9

We do separate MEP models always. As for system connectivity, electrical is the only discipline that really uses systems properly, so they just put in dummy connectors for the M/P equipment. The problem I've experienced with everyone trying to dance in one model is timing the Synchs, as well as overall model size. If you're planning on doing multiple disciplines in one model, I would advise using a workset for each person, or at least each discipline, as closing other worksets will greatly speed up the model. I've had great success with putting bulky links such as ID or Refrigeration on separate worksets and only opening them when necessary. 

Message 9 of 9
RobDraw

@gags14 wrote:
Linking or Workset?
MEP firm that received arch model. HVAC, plumbing/fp and electrical will be working on it so 3 people max.
Each trade links the model or one model with 3 seperate worksets?
what are the thoughts out there>

Having a single model doesn't necessitate worksets for trades. Revit "wants" a single model. Trades can each easily connect to multiple discipline equipment. Separating models is usually done on larger projects due to performance and/or model managment/logistical reasons. A single model is much easier to set-up and maintain.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report