Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with architect's updated model

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
AEScott
651 Views, 19 Replies

Working with architect's updated model

I am new to Revit. I've been working with it for the last month just using the tutorials.

I have a project where the architect provided my company with a revit model which I have modified. I just recently received an update from the architect and everything I do causes me to lose my updates.

My research on this topic has found that I should replace my current central file on the server with the updated model. I have found no other information about how to salvage my changes. Should I save my local file to central after the update and central will recognize the differences and notify me?

I'm trying to prove that this project can be done faster in Revit and than in AutoCAD. So far with a little tweaking I'm able to work faster than the people working in AutoCAD except for one or two stumbling blocks which require research.
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
jayspot
in reply to: AEScott

Are you working in the architects model or are you linking it into your model? When you say "modify" are you referring to the architects model or your own?
Message 3 of 20
AEScott

I started with the architect's model as my central file. "Saved as" to my local computer and edited the file on my local computer. The architect's model and the one on my hard drive being saved to central both have linked files but these linked files are from CAD.
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

You need to start your own file, and Link in the Architect's file. The Arch
file is used as a background for your work. You should not be editing the
Arch file directly. Since it will be linked, updates to the Arch file will
occur in your work, as long as you replace the older Arch file with the new
one of the same name in your working directory.

wrote in message news:5699790@discussion.autodesk.com...
I started with the architect's model as my central file. "Saved as" to my
local computer and edited the file on my local computer. The architect's
model and the one on my hard drive being saved to central both have linked
files but these linked files are from CAD.
Message 5 of 20
AEScott

Thank you for your input.

The process you have outlined is one that I tried this morning. The result is that I cannot edit the linked revit model from the architect. The linked Revit model has volume but no editable attributes. I cannot add mechanical, plumbing, or electrical since there are no faces to attach these items.

It almost seems as though I have to rebuild the walls, doors, etc. to have something to edit.

The theory and reality are getting further apart.
Message 6 of 20
mmassey

Study up on Copy/monitor. This will allow you to copy and monitor the Architect's level lines and rooms. These are really to two parts of the model that you will need. You should not be trying to edit the architect's walls/doors/windows. You can go into VG an turn off objects that you do not want (as in plumbing fixtures, so you can add your own that have connections).

Mike Massey
http://knowingwhatyoudontknow.blogspot.com/
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous

you shouldn't be editing the architect's file. You can use copy/monitor as
suggested on the architect's walls.

wrote in message news:5700081@discussion.autodesk.com...
Thank you for your input.

The process you have outlined is one that I tried this morning. The result
is that I cannot edit the linked revit model from the architect. The linked
Revit model has volume but no editable attributes. I cannot add mechanical,
plumbing, or electrical since there are no faces to attach these items.

It almost seems as though I have to rebuild the walls, doors, etc. to have
something to edit.

The theory and reality are getting further apart.
Message 8 of 20
AEScott

Thanks.

I spent Friday going through a copy/monitor exercise. I've been trying to use the exercise to do MEP. Going to redo this exercise to fully understand copy/monitor. Hope this will work since nothing else is.
Message 9 of 20
Martin__Schmid

Hello AEScott--

Please refer to the post: http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5561856

My general recommendation is to NOT copy/monitor walls... just levels and rooms (and perhaps grids). When you start copy/monitoring walls, you end up 'growing' your model larger than it needs to be with no benefit.

Martin Schmid, P.E.
MEP Project Consultant, Americas
Autodesk Consulting

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

I have a similar situation with an outside architect. He places the
majority of the plumbing fixtures in his Revit model so that he can
accurately size the rooms. Are these architectural fixtures just dumb
objects as far as MEP is concerned, or can you use them to connect your
plumbing? If you can use them, since they are not selectable in a linked
file, what are you doing to access them in your MEP project?

Thanks!

Clyne

wrote in message news:5700597@discussion.autodesk.com...
Study up on Copy/monitor. This will allow you to copy and monitor the
Architect's level lines and rooms. These are really to two parts of the
model that you will need. You should not be trying to edit the architect's
walls/doors/windows. You can go into VG an turn off objects that you do not
want (as in plumbing fixtures, so you can add your own that have
connections).

Mike Massey
Message 11 of 20
RevitIt

One of the major issue with NOT Cm the walls is that if you are using a wall-hosted family and the wall gets deleted from the arch model (And that happens a lot) it will screw your MEP model. You dont get the same issue with face-based.

So for now, it's all based on your workflow
Message 12 of 20
AEScott

Once again here I am. I've been working on copy/monitor for the last 3 days (including Friday) and I still cannot do the things expected of Revit.

I've copy/monitored the rooms and levels for the original architectural model. Before I'll replace the old architect model (linked) with the updated model I want to be able to place just one light and switch to test. Copy/monitor does not allow this. For the record I've completed, more than once, the e-learning catalog to better understand copy/monitor. I've got potential projects, where the architects are sending daily changes in Revit, sitting around waiting to solve this integration problem.

Going to test treating the architect's updated model as a workset and see if I get a result. At this point I'm grasping at straws.
Message 13 of 20
Martin__Schmid

Hi AEScott--

Have you followed the step-by-step instructions on http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5561856

There is a video there as well.

Placing lights/switches has nothing to do with Copy/Monitor... so I'm not sure what you mean by Copy/Monitor doesn't allow it.... certainly, you can't Copy/Monitor Lights or Switches, but you can place after you have linked and C/M'd the levels and rooms.

After you have setup your project, and setup the Copy/Monitor of the levels and rooms, you can place any face-hosted or un-hosted families, load and place the following:

Face Hosted:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\RME 2008\Imperial Library\Electrical\Devices\Lighting Switches.rvt

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\RME 2008\Imperial Library\Electrical\Lighting Fixtures\Plain Recessed Lighting Fixture.rfa

Unhosted:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\RME 2008\Imperial Library\Electrical\Lighting Fixtures\Troffer Corner Insert.rfa

When using a linked file, you can't use Wall, Ceiling, Roof, or Floor hosted... this is why (most of) the content that ships w/ RMEP is face hosted.

HTH,
Martin Schmid, P.E.
MEP Project Consultant
Autodesk Consulting

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 20
asc

I found this article very useful in setting up a new project for our company. I hope this helps you out.
Message 15 of 20
jayspot

FYI - I wrote that set up procedure document when I was first trying to figure out how to set up a project in Revit. I can't guarantee that all of the information is accurate but should be helpful. Regarding worksets part of the document, I have been directed by Autodesk not to use them with MEP projects.
Message 16 of 20
asc

jayspot
I found your procedure very helpful, may I ask why you have been directed not to use worksets? I have set a job that is going to be used as our pilot project and used most of your procedures. Am I going to run into problems. We have yet to start working on it as a group. I have been the only one using the revit file so far.
Message 17 of 20
mmassey

You can also create a "coordination plan." If the architectural model contains a ceiling grid, you can align your light fixtures to the grid using the align command. You can only do this inside a "coordination plan." To create a coordination plan you can duplicate an existing level and then go into the properties of the view and change the Discipline to Coordination. I use this to coordinate my diffusers and lights with the architects grid.

Mike Massey
Message 18 of 20
AEScott

Thank you. Will try this.
Message 19 of 20
AEScott

I used the tutorial from AutoDesk and I used yours and I am now able to work with the link.

Thanks to all for help
Message 20 of 20
Jarom05

I have a couple of questions. Since copy/monitor does not copy ceilings, how do you place ceiling mounted lighting fixtures? As I am sure that a lot of you have noticed, no consideration has been made for inserting recessed fixtures, troffers and especially downlighting.

Since one of Revit's features is its rendering and calculation ablities, how do you address the problem of a fixture NOT creating and opening through a linked ceiling? It really is terrible to have a nice recessed indirect fixture that is installed above the ceiling plane and all you see is the trim. Or must one totally recreate the ceilings in the Electrical drawings? That would be very inefficient. If these fixtures end up being faced based how do I create the light source ( and element)? This seems like a big flaw.

Also, why can't Revit search through sub folders for IES files? This seems like it should be a simple program fix. I am sure that there are many Lighting consultants that would like to group there files by manufacture, type and/or lighting rep. I really don't think a single folder containing hundreds of files is such a good idea.

And can someone do something about the back-up file issue? Soon?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report