Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why i cant create a parameter for array

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
iamwhatiam1234
1020 Views, 12 Replies

why i cant create a parameter for array

plz check the family

there are some opening for the water flow

now the family have 4 ring holes

when i load the family in to the project i want to change the holes as i required 

but i cant do array command there 

why

plz advice

for your reference i am attaching the family done

thanks

rajkumar

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CoreyDaun
in reply to: iamwhatiam1234

Since the circle does not re-size from the center point, this may be a difficult task. If there are only ever going to 4 "ring holes", then this can be accomplished within this Family. If there are supposed to be a variable number of "ring holes", model the Array in a separate Family with the origin point as the center of the Array. Nest that Family into the host Family and constrain its location to the center of the circle and create a "Number of Ring Holes" integer Parameter to link to the same parameter in the nested Family.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 13
iamwhatiam1234
in reply to: CoreyDaun

i cant understand cleary Corey

can u plz create that nested family and send me so that i can study that family and understnad

thankq
raj
Message 4 of 13
CoreyDaun

Alright - attached. I actually have two levels of nested Families to make this easier. The single hole element is the first, "SINGLE", and it contains the single extrusion Grouped with a Reference Line so it can be constrained by "Ring Radius". This was nested into "ARRAY" and was arrayed and linked to the "Number of Holes" Integer Parameter. Under the "SINGLE" Family's Type Properties, I linked "Ring Radius" to the Parameter of the same name in the host Family. This Family was then loaded into the main Family and constrained to the Reference Planes in the center of the circle, and the Parameters linked to those in the host Family.

I didn't include the ability to offset the holes, meaning that, for instance, when you have four holes, they are at a 45° rotation. This is most easily accomplished with yet another level of nested Family, in which the "ARRAY" Family is loaded in and tied to an Angular Constraint and Angle Parameter ("Angle Offset"), to which the formula should be:

= to " 360° / Number of Holes / 2

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 13
iamwhatiam1234

Hi Corey

Thankful For your explanation
i understood how u done the family

and i tried to do the same but how to assain the no of rings and radius parametes to the array

i tried so much but i cant find how to do

plzz help

thanks
Message 6 of 13
iamwhatiam1234

Hai Corey

Thankful for Your explanation

but plz check the snapshot

why that difference occurs?

why this difference.JPG

Message 7 of 13

how to give that angular parameter plzz explain plzz
Message 8 of 13

I UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU SAID AND I GOT THE FULL IDEA ABOUT THE FAMULY

BUT I CANT GET HOW TO GIVE ANGLE OFFSET PARAMETER ??
IF I WANT TO ROTATE THE HOLES HOW TO DO THAT?

PLZZ HELP

THANKQ
Message 9 of 13
CoreyDaun

rajkumarrevu wrote:

"Hai Corey

Thankful for Your explanation

but plz check the snapshot

why that difference occurs?"

I cannot tell from the image - let's take it step-by-step. How far did you get in the instructions before running into trouble? Which of the steps below were you able to complete?

CADastrophe wrote:

"Alright - attached. I actually have two levels of nested Families to make this easier.

- The single hole element is the first, "SINGLE", and it contains the single extrusion Grouped with a Reference Line so it can be constrained by "Ring Radius".

- This was nested into "ARRAY" and was arrayed and linked to the "Number of Holes" Integer Parameter.

- Under the "SINGLE" Family's Type Properties, I linked "Ring Radius" to the Parameter of the same name in the host Family.

- This Family was then loaded into the main Family and constrained to the Reference Planes in the center of the circle...

- ...and the Parameters linked to those in the host Family.

- In the "SINGLE" Family, you should be able to open the Family Types dialog, change "Ring Radius", and the single extrusion should follow.

- Once the Array Group had been created, you can select one element from that Group and you'll see a kind of temporary dimension that controls the quantity. Select that and use the pull-down on the Options Bar (at the top) to link it to an Integer Parameter.

- In the "ARRAY" Family , you should have a "Ring Radius" Parameter linked to the nested Family. This is done by selecting the nested Family, finding that Parameter under Type Properties, and clicking the gray button to the right of that Parameter.

- The constraints are easily accomplished by placing the Family off to the side, clicking on it, dragging it onto the proper Reference Planes, and then clicking the two lock icons that appear.

- This is done in the exact same way that the "Ring Radius" Parameter was linked in the "ARRAY" Family - the gray button beside the Parameter.

Let's get this working before tackling the additional "offset angle" Family.

Message 10 of 13
CoreyDaun

rajkumarrevu wrote:
"...BUT I CANT GET HOW TO GIVE ANGLE OFFSET PARAMETER ??
IF I WANT TO ROTATE THE HOLES HOW TO DO THAT?"

Create another Family for the "ANGLE_OFFSET" and load the "ARRAY" Family into it. Create the two Parameters "Ring Radius" and "Number of Holes" and link the Parameters with the nested Family. Create another Parameter for the "Angle Offset" and apply the formula:

= 360° / Number of Holes / 2   (my apologies, I mistyped in my previous post; this should be the formula to use)

Once that's created, place an instance on the "ARRAY" Family into the Ref. Level View on the intersection of the Reference Planes, but do not constrain it. Rotate it to some degree (it doesn't matter what angle, as long as it's not at zero) and then create an Angular Dimension between one axis of the Family and a Reference Plane. Select it and link it to the "Angle Offset" Parameter. Now load this into your host Family.

Message 11 of 13
iamwhatiam1234

PROBLEM PLZZ SEE THE SNAPSHOT WHILE CREATING THE ANGLE OFFSET

CAU PLZZ CREATE FOR ME AND ATTACH THE FAMILY

ERRORRR.JPG

Message 12 of 13
CoreyDaun

In this particular case, don't use a Reference Plane - just anchor the Angular Constraint directly to the Family.

AngleConstraint.JPG

BTW - I should have mentioned this earlier, but this is a tremendous amount of effort to create such a small (and seemingly unimportant) level of detail. It is often detrimental to model to such a degree in Revit, as it may bloat the Family's file size. It might seem like a small increase, but if thousands of them are placed in a Project, it could matter. This is just my opinion, though.

Message 13 of 13
iamwhatiam1234

thankq so much corey for patience 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report