Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which family template should I use to create supports or hangers for pipes?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
comtois.william
3191 Views, 12 Replies

Which family template should I use to create supports or hangers for pipes?

Hi everyone,

I'm new with Revit and I need to create a family of supports or hangers.

Which template should I use if I want to place my supports on my pipes and then adjust the parameters to make it fit on steel beams?

I tried to use Plumbing Fixtures, but when I inserted it in my project, i couldn't place them the way I wanted.

Regards,

William Comtois

P.S. : I found a topic on the subject, but it didn't really help me out - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-MEP/Query-for-pipe-supports-or-hangers-in-Revit-Mep/m-p...

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
tjbeecher
in reply to: comtois.william

We have used pipe accessories and that seem to work well.

Message 3 of 13
comtois.william
in reply to: tjbeecher

@tjbeecher wrote:

We have used pipe accessories and that seem to work well.

Am I supose to find this .RFT in the basic templates of Revit MEP?

Otherwise, can you send it to me please? Smiley Happy

Regards,

William Comtois

Message 4 of 13
tjbeecher

I am using 2013.  I had to create it with a generic model template then change it before I started modeling the hangers.

Message 5 of 13
comtois.william

Ok, I am using 2013 too, but when you say that you had to change it before you started modeling the hangers, what did you change?

Message 6 of 13
tjbeecher

Attached are to pictures. one is showing the family categories and paramteres buttonto click on.  Once the box comes up scroll down to the pipe accessoeris one.

Message 7 of 13
comtois.william

Well, and do I need to change any parameters or just change the categorie to "pipe accessories"?

I tried to just change the categorie, i modeled something simple (A cylinder) and I tried to insert it in my project. Nothing happened... My cylinder seems not to be added in my project...

Some ideas?

Regards,

William Comtois

Message 8 of 13
CADArmor

Hi you need to be using a Generic Model Template found in (C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RME 2011\Metric Templates)

Make sure to add Pipe Connectors one in and one out. (See image attached)

For family Category & Parameters make you’re to Part Type is set at Breaks Into (See image attached)

Message 9 of 13
comtois.william
in reply to: CADArmor

Thanks for your answer,

I tried to create a simple cylinder and to put it down on my piping system the way you told me to do it, but when i do so, some transitions appear on both sides of my cylinder (see image attached)

Is there anything to do to avoid those transitions?

Thanks,

Will

Message 10 of 13
CADArmor

Hi mate

You need to make sure that your radius on your pipe connector is the same size as the pipe in your model. See image attached.

Message 11 of 13

Hi,

I see what you mean, but are you sure that i must set the "Part Type" to "Breaks in" instead of "Normal".

I don't want to break my pipe into two different parts, i just want to support it.

Thanks.

Will

Message 12 of 13
Sandleaz

I use pipe accessories as the category.  That way, it's easy when other people or you want to turn off all piping, valves, accessories, pipe insulation ... they usually turn that set of categories off and your pipe hangers and supports will turn off as well.

Message 13 of 13
CADArmor

Hi Will,

This is the best way I know of doing this. Use a Face Base Family Template and repeat the cylinder setting which you have done. By using a face base template you can attach your pipe support to structural beams of slabs etc.  See picture attached for an example. Keep trying different settings until you find what works best. There is always a better way.

Regards

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report