Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When someone says... "Revit brings them in as 'Blocks'" what is meant.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mdhutchinson
386 Views, 3 Replies

When someone says... "Revit brings them in as 'Blocks'" what is meant.

If some one says... "... Revit brings them in as blocks... what would they mean?

a block  is an AutoCAD object type.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
L.Maas
in reply to: mdhutchinson

I think most people would make an analogy to a block when they talk about families

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 4
chrisplyler
in reply to: mdhutchinson

What are they talking about? Revit brings them in as blocks? What is THEM? Revit brings WHAT in as blocks?

Message 4 of 4

To help people understand the difference between Linking and ImportingCAD files into Revit I've told people, that also understand AutoCAD, that importing a CAD file is similar to inserting a Block Reference where Linking a CAD file is like inserting an External Reference.

If you are not familiar with AutoCAD, a block is similar to Microstation cells, SketchUp components and Revit Families. They are all based on separate files that are loaded into other files to represent things that need to be repeated more efficiently than drawing each of them from scratch, over and over. A desk, chair, column, room tag, north arrow, cabinet, tree, bench, curb, window, door and many other things are examples of a block, cell, component or family.
My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report