Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does RFA stands for? How would you edit an RFA?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
auto99
1070 Views, 2 Replies

What does RFA stands for? How would you edit an RFA?

I am trying to make a new symbol for a bell fire alarm. First, I cannot find a fire alarm family to get one.
I chose the Wall Speaker.rfa, made a duplicate and renamed it as Bell Alarm.rfa
The family now includes 3 items, all of them preceded by the name Bell Alarm, including an 8" and 5" speaker which I need to delete. How do you delete items from a family?

Pls tell me the right way of doing it as I know for sure this is not the right way to do it.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: auto99

RFA stands for Revit Family. There are two types of families that you will be concerned with to make your life safety devices.

The first family type is the annotation. This is where you create the 'symbology' that will scale. You start this one with File->new->annotation symbol. Select Generic annotation.rft (this is the family template) when the dialog box comes up. We have been able to import our blocks from AutoCAD and explode them to make our annotations so that the Revit symbols match our AutoCAD symbols.

The second type of family you will need is the fire alarm device family. If you select File->New->family - one of the choices will be "Fire Alarm Device.rft" - this is the actual device template. If you are not intending to use 3D modeling, you can simply load your annotation symbol created above into this family, place the annotation at the 0,0 and load this FA device family into your project.

The problem you ran into when copying a family was with the types within a family. If you click on "family types..." on the left hand side of the screen (depending on how your display is set up andyou have to be editing a family), you will be presented with a list of family types. You can then delete the ones you don't want.

I wouldn't recommend using the speakers to create fire alarm devices - Revit turns objects on and off based on the base family type and if you turn off the speakers, you will lose the bell.

So quick recap - make annotation (the symbol you want to show on the final output) - load that into a FA device you created from the Fire Alarm template, load the Fire alarm device into the project and you will have a 2d symbol that you can later add 3d components to.
Message 3 of 3
auto99
in reply to: auto99

Thank you, your reply is very helpful.
Although I know that it is still a long way for me to grasp every detail about this new program. You have provided me a great start.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report