Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are starting our first job with Revit MEP

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
dnasalroad
1073 Views, 6 Replies

We are starting our first job with Revit MEP

We are starting our first job with 2011 Revit MEP and we just received our first file from the Arch.  What is our first step.  I have found some information and know we need to save the job in a folder (do we rename it), make it a central file (don't know how), make a local file (don't know how and do we need 3 separate local files, one for Plumb, one for Mech., and one for Elec.), and then what.  Are we ready to start our work.  Can we do our work and just save then close out and it updates the central file.  When we get an updated file from the Arch. what do we do with it.  Do we delete the old file and replace with the new file.  We would love to find something that would give a simple walk through for a MEP company to setup a job, and proceed with updates from Arch.  If I am missing something please let me know. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
asommer
in reply to: dnasalroad

(Deep Breath) Create your MEP Central file, it will be blank.  You will "Link" in the Arch file.  Before you do that, save the arch file as, I reccomend a date within the file name, and make it a central file (in the options button).

Create a local file for each person or workstation, you will have to activate "Worksets" first.  then, from your central file, you "save as", it will save a file as a local, linked to the central.  The "Save" saves to your local, the "Synchronize with Central" saves the changes you modified in your local to the Central.

When you get a new arch update, you go to "Manage Links", and select the arch link, then hit "Reload From...".  select  the new arch file, it will replace the old one.

Good Luck, hope I helped.

Message 3 of 7
RKLindner

As someone who just started their first job also in Revit MEP 2 months ago, I am going to be very blunt and state to you that your company should have gotten a training package that included all the points you are asking about, when they purchased the software.  If they didn't, tell them you NEED IT.  You will waste a lot of time trying to understand Revit without the trainers help.  They should be able to help you setup Revit, create templates with default worksets, displays, linetypes, plot parameters, etc.  They will also help you draw and plot your first lines so you understand what it all means.

You should also use GOOGLE.  Google is your friend.  It will give you about 10 ways to do the same thing in Revit and you need to chose which way you want to do it.

If you come from a Autocad background, tell your bosses that Revit does not work the same way and will not look, plot or display anything they are familiar with.  It will help ease the pain when they complain about the output Smiley Very Happy

Good luck!  I actually enjoy working with Revit.  It is finicky, it's a pain, but I find that I enjoy learning how to do things.

Richard

Message 4 of 7
SandySherry
in reply to: RKLindner

Seems , we are in the same boat with many others that are trying to start using REVIT MEP. Is there a book or video you would recommend?

Message 5 of 7
RKLindner
in reply to: SandySherry

Message 6 of 7
Chris.Aquino

The following section of the Help also has a lot of information regarding the some of the questions you are asking:

Working on a team 

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 7 of 7

Mastering Revit MEP 2011 & 2012 books are pretty good starters/reference material.

Autodesk's Wikihelp is an improvement on the traditional help file - albeit in its infant form. there is still much information that could be included in their by users to help refine the information or add solutions to more real-life scenarios

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report