Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water and Wastewater Plants

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
2989 Views, 16 Replies

Water and Wastewater Plants

We have a large multilevel water treatment plant modeled in Revit. Now we are going to model all the existing

piping. Can Revit mep do this? Are there any issues with using large diameter pipe? Can you place large diameter

valves with different operators? Are there any major issues using Revit mep for this type of project?   We have tried to do this in Plant 3d and there are to many issues to name. Just dealing with the revit model is more trouble than it is worth.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
abulla
in reply to: Anonymous

Revit MEP should be able to handle a project like that just fine. If you need specific families for fittings or valves, many manufacturers like Nibco and Victaulic have content available on Autodesk Seek.

You can also fairly easily create and assign systems to your pipe once it's modeled. I think our biggest issue with a model with a lot of systems is controlling visibility, and model performance.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: abulla

abulla,  Thanks for the quick reply, Do you know if you can switch the valve operators to handwheel and whatever else you need?  Also do you know if you can change the color of existing pipe to a screened color in the orthos? We usually show the new piping bold and the existing shaded. Thanks for the help

Message 4 of 17
abulla

Well, the valve operators will depend on how the family is built. If you want to attempt to create your own valve families, that's a whole new can of worms. If you manage to find two separate valve families, one with a handwheel and one with something else, it will be easy enough to switch between the two once they're loaded into your project.

The second part of your question can be done a couple of different ways. The first is with Phasing and Phase Filters. If you read about phasing on here though, you'll find people have experienced a few problems, namely with elements becoming disconnected and losing their system association when placed on a Demolition phase. If you only have an existing and new phase, you should be ok (don't quote me on that).
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

Does anyone know where I can find 12" to 60" pipe flanges, butterfly valves and gate valves for revit mep?

Message 6 of 17
abulla

The flanges should be built into Revit, if you look under the Pipe-Fittings folder. Valves over 24" might be tougher to find.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

Is nothing built into this program? I cannot find anything.

HELP AUTODESK

-ductile iron flanged fittings 4" to 48"  all fittings reducing tees and elbows included.

-butterfly valves 4" to 48"

-gate valves 4" to 48"

-bell and spigot fittings, pipe, valves

Do you have to make everything in this program?

If you could merge Plant 3d piping into Revit MEP then you would have a program. Or better yet if you could work with

a revit model in Plant 3d then you would have a better program.

Is it possible to bring Plant fittings and valves into Revit MEP?

Message 8 of 17
Sandleaz

Here's an easy solution: create your own.  Autodesk ain't going to make everything into a REVIT family for you and your convenience.  

Message 9 of 17
CoreyDaun

tarheels09 wrote:

"Is nothing built into this program? I cannot find anything." 

The bare-bones basics are built into the Program. It would be impossible for them to include all of the fittings to accommodate every applicable market/profession that utilizes Revit.

tarheels09 wrote:

"-ductile iron flanged fittings 4" to 48"  all fittings reducing tees and elbows included.

-butterfly valves 4" to 48"

-gate valves 4" to 48"

-bell and spigot fittings, pipe, valves

Do you have to make everything in this program?" 

For most situations, someone has likely build a Family. Try checking a Manufacturer's website; many of them supply Revit Families. Also, one can search places like Autodesk Seek or Revit City. If all else fails, yes, the Family must be created.

tarheels09 wrote:

"Is it possible to bring Plant fittings and valves into Revit MEP?"

I've never used Plant 3D, but given Revit's general incompatibility with other programs (even other Autodesk programs), I would assume "no". If there is a way to convert the fittings into something Revit can comprehend, there would likely be a huge loss (most likely complete) of parametric functionality. But again, I've never used Plant 3D so I could be wrong.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 10 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Sandleaz

Good thinking, Thanks for your valued contribution

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks Cadastrophe

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks CADastrophe
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

I sounds like to me that Revit would be a better platform for water/wastewater design than plant 3D, is this the case?  Given the limit on pipe sizes in Revit MEP, I think I can live with that and build my own or get some from the MFR.

There is to much concrete in water/wastewater plants to use plant 3D.  

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous

You are right, Revit MEP was the way to go and you will need to make your own large pipe and fittings.

Plant3d is impossible to use with Revit.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

Thanks tarheels09,

Can you direct me to a site or book I can use to get a good start on building the large pipe and fittings families?

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

We just duplicated a pipe and started changing pipe styles. The fittings are not as easy, Charlotte Pipe is a good source for PVC fittings
You can search for AWWA fittings, Revit has some to start with and we used the American Pipe Manual to edit the CSV tables for ductile iron fittings.
It took some time but we finally got what we needed. Not an easy process. Good luck.

Eddie

Please note when replying via email any signature used by your email client will be added to your post as with any other email.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 17 of 17
Martin__Schmid

Hello tarheels09

Thanks for the content requests... as it has been a while since you made this post, have you come across other components for W/WW that you have found missing in Revit?

Thanks,

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report