Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Base Family - Can't attach to wall. Someone please help?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
CADArmor
7968 Views, 6 Replies

Wall Base Family - Can't attach to wall. Someone please help?

Hi,

I have created a magnetic door lock family that I need to attached to a wall behind a door. I used the Generic Model Wall Based template family but can't attached it any wall and can pick a plane to attached it to. Why not?

Normally we use a Generic Face Based family template to create families but we get a problem with the annotative symbol because when you change planes you can only see your annotative symbol in floor plan Ref. Level. Example mount a generic face base family to the floor then you will see you annotative symbol if that is the Ref. Level view but when you mount that same family to the wall the annotative symbol does not show. To solve that you need to go and create symbolic lines to represent a annotative symbol in the elevations views within the family. I thought that a wall base family will solve the annotative symbol problem experienced when using Generic Face Base Family Template.

Can someone please help?

Paul

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
AnmarieJames8335
in reply to: CADArmor

Is the wall you're trying to attach to in another file? If so, that's a problem, as wall-hosted families have to be in the same model as the wall host.

You were on the right track with your Generic Face Based families.  I have to go that route when I create wall mounted light fixtures, and have the same annotation problem.  I make my annotation symbol as a Generic Annotation and nest it into the light fixture family. 

Then, in the family editor, I go to Family Category and Parameters and change the category to Lighting Devices. This is because I need a category that has the Maintain Annotation Orientation parameter available (and Lighting Fixtures and Generic Models don't).  You could use Electrical Devices or Security Devices category to accomplish the same thing.

Message 3 of 7
CADArmor
in reply to: AnmarieJames8335

Thank you very much mate. You have solved my problem. -- Message protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content filtering. http://www.mailguard.com.au
Message 4 of 7
mmcglone
in reply to: CADArmor

If you have a wall based family and a linked architectual model you can use copy monitor to copy in a wall. just an FYI.

Message 5 of 7
dennis
in reply to: mmcglone

Another option would be to convert the object to face-based then you can use it freely in any project with links.  The link below goes over 'how to' do this:

http://appliedsoftwareblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/convert-mep-object-based-families-to.html

The main 'gotcha' is that only the active type comes over if there are multiple types defined.

Message 6 of 7
ben
Collaborator
in reply to: AnmarieJames8335

I have a similar problem. I created a boiler as a "Mechanical Equipment wall based" type, but it won't let me place it on a wall in a RevitLink, but it will let me place it if I make a wall and place it on that wall (the back doesn't align perfectly with the wall, but that is something I'll have to play with in the family editor). But if the architect sends me a floor plan that I can link into revit then there is no way I am going to waste my time drawing the building that he already has drawn. Any way to get this to place on a wall on a RevitLink?

Software making you mad? Slam your mouse on the desk...60% of the time, it works every time.

"Revit lives in the land of perfect and doesn't understand what construction is."

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 7
fabiosato
in reply to: ben

Hello,

Unfortunately you will need to convert your family to face based to make it possible.

Check here to make the change from your family.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report