Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual styles Revit MEP 2013

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
AJVavruska
3044 Views, 11 Replies

Visual styles Revit MEP 2013

See attached.

In Revit MEP 2012 the "Hidden" visual style would hide the center lines of ductwork and pipes. In 2013 it does not. I have gone through all the visual styles and played around with the graphic display options but nothing works the way it did in 2012. I have to go into VG and turn the center lines off so they wont print. But this also turns the center lines off in wire frame. Seems to be step backwards for Revit or it is a bug? Or are there other controls for this?

Thanks,

AJ

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

I think you'll find this was a long awaited improvement to MEP as generally centrelines of circular/oval ductwork and pipework should be shown. This has been a long awaited wishlist item.

If you are creating a view with fine detail level and hidden line visual style, why does it matter if the centrlines do not show up in that view when it is switched to wireframe? If you are using wireframe to model, perhaps it would be better to have another view which is set to wireframe with centrelines on and the hidden line view has centrelines turned off (which I presume is a documentation view). Then do all the coordination work in the wireframe view?

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 12

Julian,

Im confused by your answer. For plumbing documentation we have been modeling in wireframe (with center lines) and plotting using 'fine' detail with 'hidden' visual style (no center lines). Now with Revit MEP 2013 the center lines remain in hidden visual style (We don't want to see center lines in our documentation). The only way I can turn off center lines now is to turn them off in visibility graphics but it also turns off the center line in wireframe.

Thanks,

AJ

Message 4 of 12

Hi

What I was trying to say was have a modelling view which is set as wireframe with centrelines and have a separate documentation view which is set to hidden line but with no centrelines.

If you are turning off the centrline category in one view and it is not a dependent view of the other, then the two views should look different.

Thank you!
Message 5 of 12
CoreyDaun
in reply to: AJVavruska

Are your Wireframe Views in Detail Level: Coarse, as to show only a single line? Once your Views (or View Templates) are set with the Centerlines on or off as appropriate for each View, they should display correctly. Are you frequently toggling the View back and forth between Wireframe to Fine/Hidden as you work?

Anyway, the bottom line is that there is no way to reverse this to make it function like 2012. Apparently, a large enough number of users pleaded for this for them to incorporate it. Revit will continue to change as it evolves to adapt to the infinite possibilities of the real-world design needs. This will cause us the minor inconvenience of having to turn off that subcategory frequently as well.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 12

Thank you both. I guess I will have to turn off center lines in VG to accomplish what I want. For me this is a step backwards.

I do not work in single line for plumbing. I work in fine - wireframe then plot in fine - hidden but now I have one more step to turn off the centerline.

Thanks,

AJ

Message 7 of 12

I get the drift of your workflow and how you prefer to work in fine detail.

However I have to ask is using only on view and constantly togglinf between Wireframe and hidden line an econonmical worflow.

As CADastrophe mentioned - you could implement View templates. One for working set to your current preferred method and one for printing and then just apply these templates to do multiple repetitve tasks quickly.

Alternatively - have two views. One is set for working in and one is set for printing with annotation applied to the printing one.

If neither of these revised workflows is of interest, then I'm afraid that you'll have to continue you're current processes.

Thank you!
Message 8 of 12

For the most part I do not constantly toggle between the two. I do use view templates. I have two views one for working and one for printing.

Message 9 of 12

Okay. I have checked out what you said and I didn't have the problem with the centrelines.

I had one view set to wireframe with centrelines on and another view set to Hidden line with centrelines turned off and everything displays as expected. So unfortunately I'm not quite sure why you are experiencing your problem.

On the positive side, I notice that the hidden line gap settings finally work.

Thank you!
Message 10 of 12
pkitchens
in reply to: AJVavruska

This is a big step backwards for me too.  All my projects that were in previous versions of Revit now have pipe centerlines showing in all views.  I never want pipe ceneterlines, but now have to turn them off in VG for hundreds of views.  There should be a master "center line" toggle under MEP settings, as my MEP firm never uses them.

Message 11 of 12
Schmit01
in reply to: pkitchens

As long as you are using View templates and have set them up accordenly for your different views (in this case turning centre lines on or off), there shouldnt be an Issue. Select all your views and apply them all at once, no need to go to each of your views and apply them individually.

Ryan 

Revit MEP 2013

South Africa

Message 12 of 12
AJVavruska
in reply to: pkitchens

I think AutoDesk got it backwords. The Centerline feature should default off in hiden line and have the option to turn them on in visability graphics.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report