Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View templates reseting themselves?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
bsepter
2832 Views, 16 Replies

View templates reseting themselves?

In an effort to have everyone in my office print with similar linked underlays, I created a view template for the linked models (architectural, structural, furniture, and equipment models) in our project. I saved all the graphic settings for these linked models in this view template. Every so often I can open these view settings and the "Linked model" setting has changed from "First Floor Plan" to "None". Does anyone know what causes this? Or has anyone dealt with this? Or are we going about saving our underlay view settings all wrong?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
ASCunningham
in reply to: bsepter

I believe this happens when the view you are linking to in the arch model no longer exists. I've had this happen when the architect kept changing the way he had their model/views setup.

Message 3 of 17
bsepter

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I see why that would confuse the host file. But I don't think that is the case in our situation. Our view templates are resetting even if the linked files have not changed. We download a new model from the architect every week so the linked model does not change until we download one and reload it into our host file. My view templates are resetting multiple times during the day and I can't figure out what is causing that.

Message 4 of 17
bsepter

Well, it's been a few days since the linked revit model view graphics switched from "custom" to "by host" without warning. It seemed so random. Must have been the way I was holding my mouth.

Message 5 of 17
abulla

Are you by any chance updating your template and then doing a "transfer project standards" and overwriting the view templates? We just experienced this same issue, where our company template changed and we tried to update our active projects with the new view templates, and all of our Custom settings for Revit links went back to by Host View.

Message 6 of 17
bsepter

Thanks for responding abulla

No, there shouldn't be anyone trying to overwrite this view template. The only things that this view template control are the linked files. I interrogated everyone in the office and nobody claims to have touched any of the saved view templates. I guess I will continue to monitor them and hopefully find out what is causing them to reset to "by host view" .

Message 7 of 17
npgreek

If this happens to be the one and only B...Barry Septer from the country music capital of the world, send a communiqué back to your long lost Brass Stables Buddy!

Message 8 of 17
keldar67

Hi All,

So we've Fast forwarded to 2017.2.1 now and we've just started getting this again. Our building is 50 storeys + 5 basements and we have numerous models and use Linked views to tidy up all of the views across drawings sets.

Revit links are not controlled by the view templates because we need to map floor numbers to corresponding floor numbers in other models

So a couple of times in the last 2-3 weeks we have worked up to getting the drawings ready to print the following morning. Sync and go home only to find when we re-open the model the following morning, the links have reset to By Host View.

We have had this in the past, but not for 18 months maybe even 2 years ago.

this seems to be the only thread I can find on the internet that discusses it...

Can anyone at Autodesk shed any light on this.

Thanks in advance

Message 9 of 17
Vasco_Pereira
in reply to: keldar67

Same thing happening - we have a team of about 9 working on a file that has lost the custom visibility settings 3 times now. It's a real pain... They all say they didn't reload links but everything gets set back to 'By host view'.

We have 4 internal architectural linked models and a few more from other consultants. I checked before and after the issue and the file paths and file names were the same from when it was custom settings and it changed to 'by host view'.

I have no idea whats causing the overrides to be lost!

Message 10 of 17
ASilva

Sorry I cant offer any help but we are having the exact same issue as well. Could it be a glitch?

Message 11 of 17
ASilva

I was able to find the issue below that seems to match the problem we are having.

Autodesks response "No issue has been identified and the software is behaving as designed". How is this not an issue Autodesk?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

Message 12 of 17
Vasco_Pereira
in reply to: ASilva

@ASilva the Autodesk Article mentions that it looses settings when you do "Reload From" and the View ID changes... it says this:

"The Revit software identifies linked views not by name but by view ID"

The ID changes when a View is deleted and created again, hence, not the same view and might not be the View that you want to reference... I'm OK with this - my problem is worst because nothing changed and I'm not even using linked Views - It's loosing the Custom Visibility Override Settings and the team is not doing 'reload from' the settings have nothing to do with IDs also because are category overrides ...

Message 13 of 17
markpasana
in reply to: Vasco_Pereira

Exactly the same situation from here, if you manage to solve it please share. Thanks.

Message 14 of 17

Same problem here.  Running 2018.3

Message 15 of 17
forrest
in reply to: ASilva

i set a view to "by linked view", sychronize to cloud and close. reopen a moment later and view is set to "by host view". completely random. huge project, not happy.

Message 16 of 17
RobDraw
in reply to: forrest

This is one of a number of mysterious similar posts about the same issue. Somehow I don't think that they are not unrelated to the same project.

Lesson learned? Don't rely on linked views.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 17 of 17
forrest
in reply to: RobDraw

copy/monitored levels from linked view into main model. seems to have fixed the problem (for now), am also going to recreate linked views in the main model by matching level association and view range. pain in the butt but really don't want problems down the road when we go to print. will update if problem happens again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report