Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

view range issuse with linked CAD file.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
william.nitsche
4429 Views, 7 Replies

view range issuse with linked CAD file.

I am doing coordination drawings for a Health Sciences Education Building. I have linked in a 3D CAD model of Fire Protection piping. Although, when going into the VG overrides, the file is found in the imported catagories tab? My problem is that when on 1st floor plan view ( ceiling plan, floor plan, it doesn't matter), I can see the pipe for 1st and 2nd floor. When on 2nd floor plan view, I can see 1st and 2nd floor piping. It does not matter what I set the view range to.

Also, when opening a section view, the same issue occurs. You can see the piping for the entire building elevation that is in front and behind the work plane for that section. I might be missing something simple. Please Help. Thanks!!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jrobker
in reply to: william.nitsche

Insert the cad link into a (generic model-->you choose the category) family and than load that family.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 3 of 8
william.nitsche
in reply to: Jrobker

Hi there,

That seemed to do the trick for section views, but the plan view is still
the same..any more advice?

Thanks,

- Bil

William Ray Nitsche

Project Engineer

Snell Services, Inc.

2220 W. Front Street

P.O. Box 629

North Platte, NE 69103

O - 308.532.6870 - Ext. 36

F - 308.534.0804

William.nitsche@snellservices.com
Message 4 of 8
Jrobker
in reply to: william.nitsche

That's interesting, because there really is no difference between a section and plan view. The only difference is the direction at with which your viewing the model.

Have you tried creating a new floor plan?

Try this:

Insert your 3D cad file into a mass and insert the mass family. In not quite sure this will work because your dealing with MEP. I'd give it a shot though.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 5 of 8
Alaaeldin_Alsahli
in reply to: Jrobker

It is the best call so far to insert the DWG when you are In-Place Mass. When you need to edit the elevation just need to edit the mass and edit the elevation. It is the only way Revit is able to cut it. But another importanat thing is the Depth Clipping that there is an issue with, It works fine with Revit 2013 if you choose clip with/without line,It will cut but not 2014 neither 2015.

I will do more testing to confim

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 6 of 8

Never mind, It works fine with Revit 2014 and 2015. I did family in place instead of mass.

So Clipping need to be ajusted

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 7 of 8

Don't forget the clipping

clip.png

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Message 8 of 8

Wow, 

I thought I already tried that. But I guess not. 

That worked perfect. Thank you very much for the help. 

Thanks again, 

- Bil

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report