Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View Depth Issue

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
joel.banks
601 Views, 6 Replies

View Depth Issue

Hello all,

So I'm working with the sanitary piping on the second floor plan of our Revit model, and all of our sanitary runs are under the 2nd floor floor and in the 1st floor ceiling right below the structural steel. The issue that I'm having is that some of the architects walls go all the way up to the bottom of the second floor, and when I go to show my Sanitary piping on the 2nd floor these walls show up. Because my view depth is under the 1st floor. I thought that I might be able to fix this by using "Depth Clipping" however this didn't seem to work. Is there something that I'm missing??

-Joel

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
RKLindner
in reply to: joel.banks

There are 2 ways to approach your "problem" but it depends on your scope of work. Is the project only for the 2nd floor or multiple floors.  Here's how I would handle either situation.

Starting with a project with mulitple floors, I show information within the "space", with the space meaning from floor to bottom of floor above.  Therefore, all second floor domestic water, vent, and 3rd floor fixture waste piping would show in that view and I would have another view for the 1st and 3rd floors to show their respective information.

If you are only working on the 2nd floor, create a model view for both the 1st and 2nd floors and in your plot view, align both to show in that view (see other posts here on methods of doing this aligment).  Then, you can turn off all the 1st floor walls while leaving the piping on and all the piping will show in that view.

Hope this makes sense.

Richard

Message 3 of 7
teerout
in reply to: joel.banks

I am in a similar position as the OP.  I have waste piping and vent piping at similar elevations between floors.  I want to show the piping that serves the fixtures on the plan, so that would be waste pipe below floor and vent pipe abv clg.  I end up with vent piping showing from the floor below and waste piping from the floor above.

There has to be an easy way around this.  Do I need to create an additional workset for each floor? 

Message 4 of 7
RKLindner
in reply to: teerout

The way I have always approached plumbing is that what is shown on a plan is the work that is going to be on that floor span only (top of floor to bottom of flooring system above).  Typically, the plumber is going to worry about piping the sanitary from the floor above with the venting from the current floor fixtures with the other piping (water, gas, etc) that is in that specific floor space.   I also create an "underground" piping plan to show u/g piping that will need to be installed before they pour the concrete for the slab on grade.  This way, conflicts can be seen between systems.  Haven't heard a complaint from contractors over the past 15 yrs that I have been doing it that way.

Message 5 of 7
joel.banks

Since posting this question I've also found that a lot of times it just requires adjusting your view ranges, making sure your worksets and filters are set up properly and turned on, and even using view hide in some cases.

Message 6 of 7
teerout

Thanks for the reply! So maybe I should break out worksets for each floor then? To help control what is displayed and what is not.

-Trout

Trout Cook | Designer
Tel 828.252.8181
370 N. Louisiana Ave, Suite F-3 | Asheville, NC 28806
TCook@mckimcreed.com | http://www.mckimcreed.com

[McKim & Creed]
Follow us on: YouTube | twitter | facebook | LinkedIn
To send me a file larger than 10MB please click here

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in
error please notify the system manager. Please note that any
views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of
the author and do not necessarily represent those of the
company. Finally, the recipient should check this e-mail and
any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company
accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this e-mail.
Message 7 of 7
joel.banks

Yes that's one way to do it. Normally what I do is I set my view depth so that the piping under the floor shows. Then what ever walls that show up from the floor below (normally there aren't too many) I'll put my curser over them hit the tab key and select it and then hide it in that specific view. But if there are a lot of places where your seeing the walls from below then creating worksets may be your best bet.
Also keep in mind that your view depth doesn't have to be under the pipe your trying to show it just has to be at least at the mid point of the pipe.
Hopefully that answers your question.
-Joel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report