Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vic fittings always loads 45 deg elbow

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
poczatekb
1709 Views, 20 Replies

Vic fittings always loads 45 deg elbow

Hi  we are using revit mep rel. 2012.

i downloaded the grooved revit fittings from Victaulic site. 

added them to family,

can see all except when i try to draw a lenght of pipe and change directions,

revit adds a 45 deg. elbow when i want a 90 deg.

HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
CoreyDaun
in reply to: poczatekb

Could you post one of the uncooperative families files as well as the corresponding catalog .txt file (if there is one)?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 21
poczatekb
in reply to: CoreyDaun

here is the file no txt file

Message 4 of 21
CoreyDaun

A believe this fitting requires a lookup table named, "Victaulic-IPS-Elbow No 10-13.csv". This file should have been downloaded along with the .rfa file.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 21
poczatekb

Yes i found these files,   do i have to tell Revit where to look?

if so how?

thanks

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RME 2012\Libraries\US Imperial\Vic fitings\autodesk-revit-mep\ips\Autodesk-Revit-MEP-IPS-Look-Up-Tables-Pre-Requisite-Required

Message 6 of 21
tim.winnington

You need to place the csv into the lookup table directory which should be

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RME 2012\Lookup Tables\Pipe

They should then work correctly.

Message 7 of 21
poczatekb
in reply to: tim.winnington

Thank you!   works great!

Message 8 of 21
systemswest

Same problem with Vic fittlngs in REVIT 2014, CSV file list 11.25/22.5/45/90 degree enties, but as the fitting comes it will only draw a 45 degree elbow, if I edit the RFA parameters to 90 degree then I can do only 90 degree, etc.  It will not select the actual angle of the pipe.

Same fitting file, and the CSV's are in the ...\lookup tables\pipe folder  but it still doesn't work

Message 9 of 21
CoreyDaun
in reply to: systemswest

I'm not absolutely certain, but you might have to open the Family and specify the Lookup Table Name. Open the Family file and see if you're presented with any warnings or errors about missing Lookup Tables.

Message 10 of 21
systemswest

The RFA file does list the CSV's with no errors.  I even tried to re-import the CSV's just to make sure it "knew" where they are, but still luck.  It changes size / inserts as the correct size so it's seeing the sizing parameters in the CSV file.  The problem seems to be in the Angle side of the RFA.  Inside the CSV are listings for each size for angles on 11.25/22.5/45/90.  It does the same in version 2013, currently I'm using 2014.  I'll have to try it in 2012 or below.

Wish REVIT files where standard between versions, it is possible because I have multiple versions of REVIT MEP instaled that it's getting "confused"? (we deal with Architects that use different version of REVIT so we have to be able to work on multiple versions.)

Victaulic hasn't gotten back to me yet with a soultion, they don't have version 2014 (at least thats what the person I talked to noted)

Ahh the live of a Revitor...

Message 11 of 21
CoreyDaun

Would you be able to post one of the Families and the associated CSV file here?

Unfortunately, Revit is going to keep changing as it's in a constant state of development. And in the case of manufacturers, they may even see it as detrimental to have a newer version of Revit, being that any newer files that are created or modified are completely incompatible with the older versions. I would bet that the ones authoring the Families know just enough to make a working family and have little or no knowledge of the latest improvements or how to content with the issues stemming from such. But we can hope otherwise, right?

Message 12 of 21
systemswest

I get the same problem in versions 2012 and 2013 as I'm getting in 2014.  I've included Victaulic's zip file that has all the files in it.

Message 13 of 21
systemswest

and the family....

Message 14 of 21
CoreyDaun

I look at the Family, and I think that there's supposed to be another Lookup Table. The formula for the parameter "CoupGap" is:

size_lookup("Victaulic-Grooved Coupling OGS-AGS", "CoupGap", 0', Nominal Diameter)

Do you happen to have this .csv file?

Message 15 of 21
systemswest

opps...

here are the only CSV's imported into the fitting family

Message 16 of 21
CoreyDaun

I'm trying to find the root of this error:

"Can't satisfy formulas for type Victaulic-Grooved Coupling OGS-AGS:.Standard."

I'm digging, but it might take some time.

Edit:

Found it - the Lookup Table for the nested Shared Family needed to be reestablished.

Message 17 of 21
systemswest

Great, thanks for the help. but (I'm Irish we're slow) how do I reestablish the nested lookp table?

Do I just go to the "manage" lookup tables and import them again? for the fitting family and the nested coupling?

I tried that but not sure if correct since it still behaving badly.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR EFFORT !!!!!!

Message 18 of 21
CoreyDaun

You can open the nested Family for editing, reestablish the lookup table, and then reload it into the host Family.

I didn't mean to present my previous post as an ultimate solution to this problem; just a solution to that error message I was getting. This does not solve you original problem, but I'm still digging into it. So far, no luck.

You're welcome - I'm happy to provide whatever meager assistance I can.

Message 19 of 21
systemswest

Ok, Vitaulic called me this morning and fixed the problem.  Let me see if I can discribe the correction correctly.  first Vixtaulic stated they are currently working on updated families redesigned to work better in 2014 REVIT.

(this problem maybe effecting other Vic fittings as well)

If you edit the "victaulic-ips-elbow no 10-13.rfa" family, easiest to go to or stay in the 3D view.  

And click on the "Connector Element" coming off the coupling, go to properties and

go the the "Constraints" tab and select "Angle", click the pull-down to get the "Associate family parameters" dialog box,

originaily the fitting downloaded had "<none>" selected, so this is why the angle never wanted to change, but to stary at the default of 45 degrees.  Change this from "<none>" to "Angle" parameter, and save/reload into the project and bingo it works.

The other item Victaulic recommended to change is in the "family catagory and parameters" property dialog - 

Ralph at Vic said some fittings went did not have the "Always Vertical" clicked on.

Let me know if you'd prefer I just upload the corrected file.

Victaulic stated they should be posting the 2014 Vic families soon.

I'm thinking this soultion might solve other fitting problem too.

Pretty simple fix, it's always the little things...

Thanks for everyone help on this!

Message 20 of 21
systemswest

This is a much better description and fix (attached PDF), Thanks to Ralph at Victaulic!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report