Revit MEP

Valued Contributor
tim102289
Message 11 of 16 (114 Views)

Re: Ventilation Schedule Showing Space Information and VAV Box Information

08-26-2013 02:28 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

That's what I was thinking.  We have the Architectural Model linked in, so that could work, altho it is something that would then have to be changed any time we updated their model, so not a very good solution, unless their model is finalized.

- Tim Smith
Motz Engineering

Revit MEP/AutoCAD/Sketchup
UC Architectural Engineering c/o 2016

"There is nothing more expensive than hiring cheap engineers." - Bob Sheeran, Xavier University 01/05/2005
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 12 of 16 (102 Views)

08-27-2013 06:25 AM in reply to: tim102289

Yes - I'd be a PITA, and it may come with unforeseen side effects. The easiest way to go about this would be to open the Arch Model, create a new Ceiling Schedule, add any one field, and disable "Itemize every instance". Now in the Schedule, you can click on the one cell that will be displayed and then on "Highlight in Model" on the Ribbon. You will then have all (except those on Design Options) of the Ceiling Elements selected at once, and you can then globally turn off "Room Bounding".

The only other possibility I can fathom would be to redesign your VAV box. Before Room Calculation Points, I had created a junction box Family that was intended to be placed above ceilings, which created the same problems that you're having now. What I did was build a "Custom Elevation" into the Family which would raise the model's geometry to the specified height, but keep the Family's origin within the Room, thus maintaining the association.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Valued Contributor
tim102289
Message 13 of 16 (95 Views)

08-27-2013 06:47 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

I emailed someone at the architecture firm to see if they would be willing to turn off room bounding for the ceilings from their end so I wouldn't have to change it multiple times.  First reply was that they needed it to stay on so room names and numbers would show on their plans.  I replied that I set my spaces to have an upper limit of the floor above with no offset, and asked if that would work for them as well, waiting to hear back.  Your second solution sounds like a possibility.  Would that complicate the placement of the the boxes though, when setting the height and matching with duct work etc.?  I have an idea of what you're proposing, but not quite sure how you did it.  If it's something fairly easy I may give it a shot, but I don't want to complicate things too much, as the other people working here are brand new to Revit, and I don't to mess anything up at this stage in the project.  If worst comes to worst I'll just set the ceilings to unbounded in the arch model each time.

- Tim Smith
Motz Engineering

"There is nothing more expensive than hiring cheap engineers." - Bob Sheeran, Xavier University 01/05/2005
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 14 of 16 (90 Views)

08-27-2013 07:17 AM in reply to: tim102289

Basically, you'd have to create a new Reference Plane in which to host the Geometry, and then modify all of the relevant Constraints accordingly. Then, you add a new Parameter (Length/Instance) for the 'Custom Elevation' and create a Dimensional Constraint to the new Reference Plane. For this Family, do not use the normal Elevation Parameter, but rather this custom parameter. It's up to you as to whether or not you think this investment in effort is worth the results.

BTW - I don't think I'd ask the Architect to change their Ceilings and Rooms to accommodate this. I would just open the Arch and turn off the Room Bounding each time a new updated arch model was received. It's not that terrible, really.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Valued Contributor
tim102289
Message 15 of 16 (85 Views)

08-27-2013 07:39 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

I don't really see any reason to set the ceilings to room bounding, at least not for the architect.  As far as I know they don't need any volumes to be calculated, and square footage wouldn't be affected by the room height.  As for us, we might want the ceilings to be room bound for energy analysis, but we're doign that in another program.

- Tim Smith
Motz Engineering

Valued Contributor
tim102289
Message 16 of 16 (82 Views)

08-27-2013 07:53 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

I cannot do all the ceilings at once, as the room bounding option is greyed out.  I have to do it floor by floor each time, and i also have to change the rooms to have an upper limit of the floor above with no offset in order to keep from losing them as well.

- Tim Smith
Motz Engineering

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.