Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ventilation Schedule Showing Space Information and VAV Box Information

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
tim102289
2252 Views, 15 Replies

Ventilation Schedule Showing Space Information and VAV Box Information

I am trying to make a Ventilation Schedule.  I have one made, but I was wondering if there is any way to add a column which would pull the 'Mark' parameter from the VAV Box (Terminal Unit) that is in the corresponding space.  I know I can make a schedule of Mechanical Equipment which would list all of the marks, but I need to connect these with the space information for the space they are in, so I can show for example Space Name, Number, CFM, Occupancy, etc.  Can this be done?  Any and all ideas are welcomed.

Tim Smith
IT Manager, Mechanical Engineer  |  Motz Engineering

“There is nothing more expensive than hiring cheap engineers.”
Experienced in Revit MEP/AutoCAD/Sketchup | Autodesk BPA Certificate
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
CoreyDaun
in reply to: tim102289

If the VAV actually do exist within the Space, you can use your Mechanical Equipment Schedule and pull the info from each element's associated Space. While selecting the fields for your Schedule, use the pulldown below the list of available fields ("Select available fields from:") to access the Space fields.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 16
tim102289
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Any idea why Area is not listed?

Tim Smith

Message 4 of 16
tim102289

I see now what you were saying about them being in the space.  Most of the boxes are above the ceiling, and therefore aren't considered to be in the space.

Tim Smith

Message 5 of 16
CoreyDaun

tim102289 wrote:

"Any idea why Area is not listed?"

I don't know - that's odd. Oh, well; time for another work-around! Include the fields "Space: Volume" and "Space: Unbounded Height" in your Schedule. Create a new Calculated Value (Type: Area) called "Area" with the formula:

Space: Volume / Space: Unbounded Height

You can then go to the Formatting tab and mark the Volume and Height fields as "Hidden Field" so they don't display on the Schedule.

tim102289 wrote:

I see now what you were saying about them being in the space.  Most of the boxes are above the ceiling, and therefore aren't considered to be in the space.

If the VAV's exist above the Space, open the Family for editing and go to Family Category and Parameters (which is the icon with the folder image on the Ribbon). Under the Parameters , enable "Room Calculation Point". Follow this WikiHelp link for more information on Room Calculation Points.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 16
tim102289

And that would work for spaces too correct?  I'm guessing there isn't a separate space calculation point.  Your ideas sound like something that will work.  I was using Area in my previous schedule to calculate various other fields.  So I could make that calculated area field from volume as you suggested, and then calculate from there.  This just might work lol.

Tim Smith

Message 7 of 16
tim102289

Room Calculation Point Functionality is a new feature of Revit 2014... 😞  Looks like I'm back to square 1.  This project is being done in 2013.

Tim Smith

Message 8 of 16
CoreyDaun

Yes, Room Calculation Points were added to the Mechanical Equipment Category with 2014.

For previous releases, I think you'll have to raise the "Limit Offset" of the Space so that it is high enough to catch the Mechanical Equipment.

Message 9 of 16
tim102289

Nope, the Limit Offset doesn't solve the problem.  I already have the spaces set up to have an Upper Limit of the floor above, but when you look in section/elevation, the spaces stop at the ceiling regardless.  Any other ideas?

Tim Smith

Message 10 of 16
CoreyDaun

The Ceilings in the Architectural Link are set to Room Bounding. Are you Linking in the Architectural "Working Model". meaning the Project that the Architect is directly working in? If not, perhaps you can open it and disable the Room Bounding property of the Ceilings. This is just speculation, though.

Message 11 of 16
tim102289

That's what I was thinking.  We have the Architectural Model linked in, so that could work, altho it is something that would then have to be changed any time we updated their model, so not a very good solution, unless their model is finalized.

Tim Smith

Message 12 of 16
CoreyDaun

Yes - I'd be a PITA, and it may come with unforeseen side effects. The easiest way to go about this would be to open the Arch Model, create a new Ceiling Schedule, add any one field, and disable "Itemize every instance". Now in the Schedule, you can click on the one cell that will be displayed and then on "Highlight in Model" on the Ribbon. You will then have all (except those on Design Options) of the Ceiling Elements selected at once, and you can then globally turn off "Room Bounding".

The only other possibility I can fathom would be to redesign your VAV box. Before Room Calculation Points, I had created a junction box Family that was intended to be placed above ceilings, which created the same problems that you're having now. What I did was build a "Custom Elevation" into the Family which would raise the model's geometry to the specified height, but keep the Family's origin within the Room, thus maintaining the association.

Message 13 of 16
tim102289

I emailed someone at the architecture firm to see if they would be willing to turn off room bounding for the ceilings from their end so I wouldn't have to change it multiple times.  First reply was that they needed it to stay on so room names and numbers would show on their plans.  I replied that I set my spaces to have an upper limit of the floor above with no offset, and asked if that would work for them as well, waiting to hear back.  Your second solution sounds like a possibility.  Would that complicate the placement of the the boxes though, when setting the height and matching with duct work etc.?  I have an idea of what you're proposing, but not quite sure how you did it.  If it's something fairly easy I may give it a shot, but I don't want to complicate things too much, as the other people working here are brand new to Revit, and I don't to mess anything up at this stage in the project.  If worst comes to worst I'll just set the ceilings to unbounded in the arch model each time.

Tim Smith

Message 14 of 16
CoreyDaun

Basically, you'd have to create a new Reference Plane in which to host the Geometry, and then modify all of the relevant Constraints accordingly. Then, you add a new Parameter (Length/Instance) for the 'Custom Elevation' and create a Dimensional Constraint to the new Reference Plane. For this Family, do not use the normal Elevation Parameter, but rather this custom parameter. It's up to you as to whether or not you think this investment in effort is worth the results.

BTW - I don't think I'd ask the Architect to change their Ceilings and Rooms to accommodate this. I would just open the Arch and turn off the Room Bounding each time a new updated arch model was received. It's not that terrible, really.

Message 15 of 16
tim102289

I don't really see any reason to set the ceilings to room bounding, at least not for the architect.  As far as I know they don't need any volumes to be calculated, and square footage wouldn't be affected by the room height.  As for us, we might want the ceilings to be room bound for energy analysis, but we're doign that in another program.

Tim Smith

Message 16 of 16
tim102289

I cannot do all the ceilings at once, as the room bounding option is greyed out.  I have to do it floor by floor each time, and i also have to change the rooms to have an upper limit of the floor above with no offset in order to keep from losing them as well.

Tim Smith

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report