Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve (Pipe Accessories) Use Annotation Scale issue

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
casquatch
5262 Views, 6 Replies

Valve (Pipe Accessories) Use Annotation Scale issue

Hello,

I'm currently running through our valves and updating them to match the symbols we typically use. I'm seeing an odd problem when the "Use Annotation Scale" option is turned on. The valves match up with the piping usually, but when the box is checked the piping is still shown at the true scale connection location, while the valve symbol is shown at the scale of the view (as expected).

This is also the behavior of the out of the box Revit 2012 ball valve. I swear this functionallty didn't exist when using valves before, so I'm not sure what changed. Is it typical for Revit to adjust the "look" of the piping to show it connected to the ends of the valve symbols? This is what I would like to see as the piping showing inside of the annotation valves doesn't quite look right.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem? See my attached image.

Thanks,

Casey

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Sandleaz
in reply to: casquatch

The solution is simple.  Just go with double line piping.  The pipes and valves will show up "naturally" and you don't have to worry about the single line symbology looking strange.  

Message 3 of 7
casquatch

Not quite the answer I was looking for. We have come the conclusion that double line piping doesn't quite look as nice as nice or get the point across as sinlge line does.

Any other suggestions out there?

Message 4 of 7
casquatch

I've solved my own problem. After making a few more items I realized that in order for the accessories to show correct with the "Use Annotation Scale" box checked the transitions also need to have this box checked. I forgot that it was not the default for all fittings/accessories to have this set in the template.

For for anyone else seeing this behavior:

-Either make sure that the "Use Annot. Scale for Single Line Fittings" is checked in the project for the Pipe Settings in the Mechanical Settings dialog (from the start).

-Or make sure that you check the "Use Annotation Scale" box for both accessories and fittings when they are connected to eachother.

Thanks!

Casey

Message 5 of 7
casquatch

Another situation similar to this can happen when you have an Underlay setup on your view. It seems that the Underlay option doesn't work well with some MEP elements, so typically I tell our MEP folks to never use it in a production situation.

In the case of pipe fittings, it will show them as half-toned and also doesn't show them with the annotation scales. it can be tough to troubleshoot unless you know what you are looking for. As always, Revit has about 30 different things that could be affecting them.

Message 6 of 7
JJRevitUser

I am reviving this because nobody seems to know how the "use annotation scale' parameter works outside of "making the symbol follow the view scale" 

By revit default their valves are created with geometry & model lines. The model lines are used to represent the 'symbol' in plan & other areas and each model line within the family is assigned to the use anno scale parameter right? So my question I suppose is how does the parameter scale? Does it scale the extents of the model lines based from the families origin? Or does it just scale each element individually regardless of origin  point? 

If you don't quite understand what I'm getting at take a look at this family I have been trying to fix. load it into a project, set it to fine view, the set it to coarse view & you'll see why I'm so confused

Message 7 of 7
JJRevitUser
in reply to: JJRevitUser

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report