Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilizing gbxml files in Revit 2010

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
464 Views, 7 Replies

Utilizing gbxml files in Revit 2010

We are about to start our very first Revit project and will be utilizing Revit MEP 2010. It is also going to be a LEED Silver building, so I hope that six months from now I don't find myself in the asylum.

Typically, we would run our building loads using Trane Trace. For this project we will be attempting to use Carrier HAP version 4.4. I have heard that HAP does not have the capability to export a gbxml file back into Revit as Trace does. I suppose I don't fully understand the application of this. What is the benefit/use of exporting results back into Revit? Would we lose some functionality or options if we do not export analysis results back into Revit? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Exporting back into Revit would populate your space and zone objects with some of the information from the Trace file. Things like CFMs, Heating and Cooling Loads, etc. This information can be used in schedules, color fills, sizing equipment, etc.

Not having this functionality does not make the gbxml in HAP any less useful, it just means the data can't "round trip".
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

We also use Trane Trace... We have not incorperated it with revit yet, but i was really wondering...Is it that Revit doesn't have everything that Trane Trace has, or that everyone uses Trace and likes it better than the Revit Calcs? I thought Revit could do everything that Trace does, but i could be wrong.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

That is a good point, if Revit is capable of doing the calcs itself then why bother exporting a gbxml to another program? It seems that it is more work than it is worth. I would like to run the load in both to see how the results compare, but I have tried to run a load in Trace multiple times importing only the building geometry and it has crashed every time. Is there something I am missing?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Previous posters here have seen to use the load program here.
I am trying to figure out the heating and cooling part of revit.
When i receive an architectural model, i look at the heating and cooling part. When i open the building tab all the values look to be default values. Do i need to get all the info from the arch - u values, walls, windows etc and reinput this in myself, recreate the building?
If that is the case is there a way to make my own? Example - the architect has a 16" concrete wall and under the exterior wall pulldown the closet one i see is 8". Am i missing something or is there alot of input work that needs to be done to run the heating and cooling loads?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Yes. You will need to create your own construction template the information is not transferred from the architectural wall build-up for example. If you access the construction dialog from any space it will allow you to add multiple construction templates.

aj
Message 7 of 8
asommer

Well, our engineers use the Trane Trace, and it might be faster for them to use it rather than telling me every value to input. They could do it from my export and run loads while i work on the model elsewhere. Also, those who use Trane regularly will have generic templates to use, and also Trane will automatically fill in the info that does not transfer from Revit. I'm still learning about this, we did a small test model with all the spaces and such, and exported to gbxml. We did not run the loads yet, but we'll be working on this more and more. I'll post what i find soon. About the crashing, make sure all that is required on the Revit side (as far as spaces and volume calculation) is included in the export. I found that reading the tutorials helped quite a bit in this matter. I'm not sure about the stability of Trane Trace. Oh, by the way... the asylum isn't that bad. Stay vertical.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

You are right, you can create new construction type, but I thinks gags14 meant he wanted to create new construction materials which you would have to do by editing the "constructions.xml" file in C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit MEP 2010\Program

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report