Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Revit With EASE

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
andrew.dew
3755 Views, 8 Replies

Using Revit With EASE

We do a lot of audio designs and use EASE for the audio design and have to build 3D CAD models and import the DWG file to EASE. We even have to do this with Revit Models because EASE doesn't like a Revit export to a DWG, which means a lot of extra time spent building these models. I'm wondering if there's an easy way to use Revit with EASE, or if there's a similur audio design program out there that would work with Revit.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JEBultman
in reply to: andrew.dew

If you do find a reasonable way to import 3D model data from Revit MEP into EASE I'm very interested into hearing about it since we're running into the same issues here. The one thing I've considered trying is exporting to sketchup and then importing the sketchup file into EASE but I will have to figure out how to use sketchup properly before I can try that.

Honestly, I find it rather irritating that there isn't any basic electroacoustic simulation/calculation functionality integrated into Revit since multiple options exist for doing lighting calculations directly inside Revit. After all, the acoustic formulas are fairly well documented and Revit's math engine is capable of handling calculus natively.

Message 3 of 9
adam.jw
in reply to: JEBultman

Give me some time and I'll write an add-in to capture the primitive geometry of a room and dump it to a 3D DWG 😛

The problem with EASE is that it's a finickey program that requires you to draw simple polygons in the correct direction (clockwise or counterclockwise) so that the correct surface is "pointing in" towards the center of the room.

The problem with Revit is that it's a finickey program that only knows how to dump out ALL the the complex geometry of a 3D isometric view.

My best solution so far, has been to set the model visibility of my room to Course in my 3d View. Turn off everything I don't care about in Visibility/Graphics --- then export to DWG. Then, instead of trying to "clean up" the model to be EASE friendly. I XREF in my exported DWG into a DXF I exported from EASE (with one of those preset starting rooms with a couple of absorbtion materials already picked out).

Then I create new 3dpolylines and to roughly match the geoemetry from Revit. Turning 3d objectsnap on and off as needed.

Then, unload the Revit 3D DWG XREF and save the DXF again and re-import.

This has been the fastest workflow I've been able to find.

-----------

It is annoying that photometric analysis software basically just shoots out "photons" that bounce around a room --- and a similar function could be done with sound directly within Revit.

Keep in mind we're using weird niche software (EASE, Catt, Ulysses) who's programmers are probably 4-5 dudes from Germany. You can't expect them to master the Revit API and have them come up with some add-in that works with it.

in reply to: adam.jw

Bump-

Been a wile on this thread- any progress?

Hoping there are acoustic analysis and auralizers out there that would allow for materials from the Revit model (with proper acoustic materilas, reflection, absorption, etc apploed) to be rendered for an accurate analysis.

We have a project on the horizon with unusual characteristics that would benefit highly from this.

(We also use point clouds and capture reality for input to Revit BIM- so this overlaps nicely)

Thanks-

Ron

Ron Allen
Ware Malcomb Bim
Message 5 of 9
adam.jw
in reply to: WM_Ron_Allen

I've had a bit more progress since this thread originally started.

I now use the Model In Place + Conceptual Massing tool in Revit instead of trying to dork around with 3D poly-lines in AutoCAD.

I find creating rough 3D surfaces/forms based on exiting model data in Revit to be easier than doing it in AutoCAD.

I wrote a blog post about it here:

http://tdwta.wrzeski.net/2015/04/conceptual-masses-easy-way-to-ease.html

in reply to: WM_Ron_Allen

Any news on this subject?

Message 7 of 9
coverds
in reply to: fatm

Notify me of updates

Message 8 of 9
holmesNARBV
in reply to: coverds

It doesn't look possible with EASE, but this program appears to have a Revit Module though I have not tried it myself.

https://www.comsol.com/acoustics-module#acoustic-behavior

Message 9 of 9

Its been 7 years since the OP. EASE 5 is about to come out (or has?)... Has there been any progress on this? We've been using the Revit>CAD>EASE process for years. There has got to be an easier way... I imagine AMFG will be the ones to fix this, where as Autodesk is likely finding a way to make their own EASE.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report