Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Revit and related packages for building and facilities management.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ruben.verster
1361 Views, 7 Replies

Using Revit and related packages for building and facilities management.

We are currently sitting with the problem of explaining to someone that using Revit for facilities management and maintenance purposes is not viable.

We have continually outlined that Revit is and Design Review as well as Navisworks in mainly for project management and construction design and drafting but it does not seem to sink in.

If anyone can please help us explain how using Revit and similar packages for building management isn't viable cost wise or if anyone successfully used it for this purpose it would be greatly appreciated. We are at a dead end in trying to explain this and need external input.

Thanks a million

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CoreyDaun
in reply to: ruben.verster

Try posting this question in the CAD Manager forum and see if you have any luck...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 8
Sandleaz

If REVIT files are part of your deliverable to the client and the client has REVIT or Navisworks or Design Review, what is the problem? If the client wants their facilities personnel to see the models and use them for anything, then it's their decision, not yours. 

You probably should go into more detail about the situation.

Message 4 of 8
ruben.verster
in reply to: Sandleaz

The problem these projects aren't done in Revit but Autocad 2D. The difficulty is in justifying the expediture of modeling existing buildings purely for the purpose of facilities management.

We deliver the 3D building models to our clients if the projects are done in Revit for their use in Navisworks and Design Review. But in this case the time that will be spent modeling these projects just can't be justified by its use as a facilities management solution .

Message 5 of 8

To clarify. Our client isn't interested in using Revit models for facilities management. Our employer wants us to sell the idea to the client.

We have been asked to produce a facilities management solution using purely Revit, Navisworks and Design Review and this solution should be able to interface with building management systems. This is without 3rd party software excluding the BMS.

Message 6 of 8
embolisim

Tell your employer that this can be done, and you are happy to help implement.

A cutting edge solution such as this will surely place you ahead of youe compettitors and be well worth the significant cost.

The cost to develop the solution will be as follows;

[Your charge out rate x a high estimate of how long you think this will take.]

Thereafter the cost for a typical building of (size) will be aproximately;

[Another generous estimate - thes things always take longer than expected]

Our clients are actually interested in this kind of solution & the co I work for promotes it to our clients, although I don\'t thin my office has sold a BIm for FM package yet.

Incidentally, one of our FM clients was putting a building up for sale recently, so we offered them the oppertunity to enhance the sale price by offering a 3D BIM model with the building. They didnt bite because, as in your situation it was a price to model everything including the building from scratch, off our own as-builts. But this kind of work will start happening as the FM market grows into 3D BIM. Currently it's expensive, but it wont stay that way as we get better at it & more of us start offering solutions.

Back on topic, its up to your employer and the client to decide if the cost is reasonable.

Just say;

Yes.

How high?

Here's the cost.

Work the cost out properly so you can defend it.

Message 7 of 8
ruben.verster
in reply to: embolisim

Thanks for your input.

We have completed a number of BIM projects for a few clients and the benefits are clear to all. As for this FM business, we have set up a proper cost breakdown, as you mentioned above, last year and outlined all the advantages BIM will provide. The client didn't bite even though they were very impressed. The cost is just too high.

Another problem is we are based in South Africa where Revit and BIM is still taking off. People like to stick to their old ways and as the cost of everything here is so **** expensive people want cost effective solutions.

Though this solution will provide a much more productive facilities management environment in the long run, most people are looking to save money now, not later.

Message 8 of 8

I am in the beginning of my project, I would like to be sure that I begin with the appropriate software.

I would like to connect a BIM to a BMS (Building Management System), I would like that the falicities manager, thanks to his BMS, could walk through the BIM to see on real time the effective room temperature and equipments running parameters for instance.

Is Navisworks the best product to do so? or Revit... ?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report