Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using reference planes to draw in 3D view?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
tcardente
3273 Views, 11 Replies

Using reference planes to draw in 3D view?

Hi all, general question. I usually draw in plan view, and use section views to draw when I need an elevation-type view. My question is, is it possible to use the 3D view as a section view, and draw duct/piping in that view when oriented from the front or side? It would make life much easier, as working in a 3D view is much faster and easier to work with (especially when using the Coins add-in). The issue is that revit needs to be told what plane to draw in; currently I can draw in 3D view but only in the XY plane, which I can already do by drawing in plan view. I've tried to create reference planes and have the 3D view use one of those as the working plane for the 3D view, but this seems to have no effect. I think I'm misunderstanding the point of a reference plane, can someone steer me on the right track on this? Thanks all!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CoreyDaun
in reply to: tcardente

Unfortunately, it is not possible to draw Ducts/Pipes in a 3D View that is oriented parallel to the Levels. Ducts cannot be hosted to Reference Planes; they are Level-Based elements. If you were to create a Reference Plane parallel to a Level, you could not use that to host the Ducts.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 12
tcardente
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for your reply. Is it possible to create a 3D view that is oriented perpendicular to the Levels? It seems that the working plane does not affect a view's ability or reference to draw duct/pipe, at least to what I've been able to play with.

Tom C
Mechanical Group

Message 4 of 12
CoreyDaun

You can easily create a 3D View that is perpendicular to the Levels like a Plan View - just click "TOP" on the ViewCube.

Ducts and Pipes are created independent of the current Work Plane, because they are strictly Level-based. When the Duct command is active and before drawing any Duct, you can specify the Reference Level under Properties.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 12
tcardente

Hmm, I don't think I'm speaking your language with parallel vs perpendicular view orientations. So, it is possible, under any circumstances, to be viewing a section of duct with the 3D viewer, and orient the 3D view to a side view (by side view I mean elevation view, looking at the side of the building rather than looking down from the top), and edit the duct/piping in that orientation? Or is this only possible by creating and moving section views?

Message 6 of 12
chrisplyler

You can certainly orient a 3D view any way you like.

Message 7 of 12
CoreyDaun

Gatecrasher_48 wrote:

"Hmm, I don't think I'm speaking your language with parallel vs perpendicular view orientations. So, it is possible, under any circumstances, to be viewing a section of duct with the 3D viewer, and orient the 3D view to a side view (by side view I mean elevation view, looking at the side of the building rather than looking down from the top), and edit the duct/piping in that orientation? Or is this only possible by creating and moving section views?"

Sorry, stupid me going to fast and switched the two. ~slaps forehead~ As the previous post said, you can orient the View however, but you will not be able to draw any Duct Pipe in a 3D View if the View becomes too close to being horizontal.

Message 8 of 12
tcardente

Oh well. Shame, I thought this might be the case, it's too bad because the 3D view is so fast and easy. I don't suppose anyone knows of an add-in that allows you to quickly create/move section views? I've been using the save selection tool and selecting and moving two section views that I created.

Message 9 of 12
SteveKStafford

There is a 3rd Party application called View Sync that keeps views in sync as you work in one. This means you could have a plan view, 3D view and section all open. While you sketch in the section you'd see it appearing in the other view instead of having to finish and click on the other view first to see it update.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 10 of 12

Huh?

My tiled views don't update until I finish click the second end of a line segment (as for a wall, or pipe, or duct) but I certainly don't have to go click on the other view to get it to update. In other words, if I'm drawing a chain of walls, all the other views update with each click that finishes a segment.

Message 11 of 12
SteveKStafford

Follow the link, watch the video...that'll help clarify. I didn't describe it well enough, sorry.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 12 of 12
tcardente
in reply to: SteveKStafford

I found a solution. By using a combination of the add-ins COINS and ReviBox, I'm able to instantly create a detailed 3D view of what I'm working on (via COINS), and then, a section view of whatever I need to view (via ReviBox). Thanks all!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report