Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two-way and Three-way switch

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
paulo
6623 Views, 6 Replies

Two-way and Three-way switch

Hello.

How can I connect a two-way and three-way switch? I need to connect two-way using the same family of switch to two different circuits. I also need to do the same with three-way.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: paulo

A single Lighting Device (Switch) element can be chosen as the "Switch" for multiple Switch Systems. However, a Switch System cannot be connected to two separate switches. So currently, three-way switches are not possible in Revit, and are commonly addressed by adding Shared Parameters to them in order to label them correctly. Searching through this forum should net you some more details on this work-around.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: CoreyDaun

If you would like this functionality added to Revit, this link is setup for you to submit feature requests, or feedback, directly to our Development group.

I encourage you to use the feedback link as our Development group is always interested and would like to hear your feedback directly, since you are better suited to state the business case for a feature request.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 4 of 7
lkyoder
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

I cannot find any more recent posts (since 2012) concerning 3-way switches. Since it is now late 2016, has this feature been added into Revit yet? If so, could you show the link which would explain how to set it up?

Message 5 of 7
bsammis
in reply to: lkyoder

Nope, it's still not there. We just assign all switches in a system the same Switch ID, then create the system using only one of them (usually the digital room controller these days).
Message 6 of 7
bsammis
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

"If you would like this functionality added to Revit, this link is setup for you to submit feature requests, or feedback, directly to our Development group."

This has been a wishlist item for years and has never been addressed.  

Message 7 of 7
joseph.staniowski
in reply to: paulo

Another solution that works quite well for me is to create a new family for 3way switches that is a light fixture rather than device. Ensure that it is not a source and has no load and then add it to the circuit/switch leg that you wish it to be part of. Make the annotative symbol and/or tag contain the switch parameter and it will adjust with your switching circuit as you adjust. For device counts you need to sum the two family types but otherwise works well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report