Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two questions about duct connectors

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
1944 Views, 21 Replies

Two questions about duct connectors

Hi!

1. The first question is regarding the duct tee that I am trying to insert into a duct. When I try to insert tee in the middle of the duct (Question1_P1.jpg) it breaks the duct (as it should) but he doesn't connect the tee to the duct...I need to do that manually (Question1_P2.jpg)...anyone knows why revit doesn't do that automatically?

2. The second problem is problem with connector...In Question2_P1.jpg you can see the connector which is defined parametrically as 800 - 300 = 500. I don't know is it posible but this connector should be grey so you can't input any number...The problem only exists if I try to connect a duct which is height of 400 mm (when I choose any other height revit normally makes transition...) and the width is different then the default width (see Question2_P2.jpg)...In that case connector automatically inherits the duct width that I am trying to connect (see Question2_P2.jpg)...

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

and the last picture...

Message 3 of 22
CoreyDaun

brane1012 wrote:

"1. The first question is regarding the duct tee that I am trying to insert into a duct. When I try to insert tee in the middle of the duct (Question1_P1.jpg) it breaks the duct (as it should) but he doesn't connect the tee to the duct...I need to do that manually (Question1_P2.jpg)...anyone knows why revit doesn't do that automatically?"

Revit is trying to insert the tee like a normal family (meaning the Duct Connectors all on the same place) and it cannot, due to the orientation of the Connectors. Look at a 3D View and see the orientation Revit it trying to place it in - there is no way to maintain the connection to the Duct on either side so my assumption is that Revit is aborting this part of the scripted actions. I quickly modified the OOTB tee to have a similar Duct Connector configuration as your Family, and it seemed to run into the exact same issue.

DuctTeeInsertion.JPG

*Ignore the imperial units

brane1012 wrote:

"2. The second problem is problem with connector...In Question2_P1.jpg you can see the connector which is defined parametrically as 800 - 300 = 500. I don't know is it posible but this connector should be grey so you can't input any number...The problem only exists if I try to connect a duct which is height of 400 mm (when I choose any other height revit normally makes transition...) and the width is different then the default width (see Question2_P2.jpg)...In that case connector automatically inherits the duct width that I am trying to connect (see Question2_P2.jpg)..."

I do not believe those inputs can be disabled as long as they are linked to Instance Parameters.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: CoreyDaun

ad 1 - Hm, I think you got me wrong...My problem is regarding the connection of the primary connector (on your picture where is the dimension 12"x12"). I am aware that Revit won't automatically connect the second connector but my problem is that revit won't connect the primary connector (It normally breaks the duct, positions the tee but it won't connect - I have to do that manually)....

ad 2 - Do you have any other suggestions how to resolve that issue?!

Best regards!

Message 5 of 22
CoreyDaun

brane1012 wrote:

ad 1 - Hm, I think you got me wrong...My problem is regarding the connection of the primary connector (on your picture where is the dimension 12"x12"). I am aware that Revit won't automatically connect the second connector but my problem is that revit won't connect the primary connector (It normally breaks the duct, positions the tee but it won't connect - I have to do that manually)....

Yeah, I get that,but I am thinking that Revit is choking and completely aborting the entire automated connection process before it reconnects the primary Duct Connector. Have you ever seen an AutoCAD macro or script run into an unexpected error and then seem to just end right there without completing itself? I'm assuming it's similar to that. If this is the case, then likely only the programmers could tell you exactly what's happening.

Place your Family on the open end of the Duct - break the Duct first. This Family is not a "proper" tee to Revit.

brane1012 wrote:

"ad 2 - Do you have any other suggestions how to resolve that issue?!"

Aside from making them Type Parameters, I can't think of anything.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous

ad 1 - Yeah, I have done a little bit more of investigating and that could really be it...solution is to break the duct and put the family on open end.

ad 2 - Hm, I am not sure...I don't know how would then connector behave...That was part of my thinking when I started doing that family...But Width of the problematic connector is defined as Parameter circled yellow on the picture 1 - Parameter circled red on the picture 1 (yellow and red cirlced parameters are instance parameters so because of that green circled parameter can't be type parameter)...and if I try to define that parameter directly (over dimension circled black) revit tells me that the drawing is overdefined or something like that...so I am not sure in which direction should I go and what should I define...

ad 3 - New problem came up after we started using this family :S and it is called insulation...I don't know the procedure how Revit insulates ducts...On picture 2 you can see how Revit insulates two type of duct tees...on one he covers perfectly duct but on lower elbow is little bit short 🙂 on second he covers tee like a box - but this time he isn't short 😄

Message 7 of 22
CoreyDaun

brane1012 wrote:

"ad 2 - Hm, I am not sure...I don't know how would then connector behave...That was part of my thinking when I started doing that family...But Width of the problematic connector is defined as Parameter circled yellow on the picture 1 - Parameter circled red on the picture 1 (yellow and red cirlced parameters are instance parameters so because of that green circled parameter can't be type parameter)...and if I try to define that parameter directly (over dimension circled black) revit tells me that the drawing is overdefined or something like that...so I am not sure in which direction should I go and what should I define..."

Is it really that detrimental for that Connector control to be displayed? I don't think that in modifying the Family to have Type Parameters, you will be able to maintain its intended functionality. I do not believe there is a good solution to this.

brane1012 wrote:

"ad 3 - New problem came up after we started using this family :S and it is called insulation...I don't know the procedure how Revit insulates ducts...On picture 2 you can see how Revit insulates two type of duct tees...on one he covers perfectly duct but on lower elbow is little bit short 🙂 on second he covers tee like a box - but this time he isn't short" 😄

I don't know why the insulation is short on the first image. Revit will attempt to create a proper geometric representation of the insulation (as per the left image of your "Picture2"), but if Revit cannot create that geometry for any reason, it will default to an overall box that encompasses the entire element (as per the right image of your "Picture2"). This will often happen when a segment of the profile is too short for Revit to draw. You'll have to play around with the default fittings to see how it creates the insulation; in briefly experimenting with the default mitered elbow Family, I found that the insulation will be applied to Sweeps that use a Profile.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous

ad 2 - Hm, I am not sure if I get it...for that connector I don't need connector control...I will try to explain on the picture I sent earlier (Picture 1.jpg)...

From the picture I want to be able to define this parameters (instance parameters): Sirina 1, Varijacija D and Height.

I do not need the connector control for the problematic connector...but I want that if I put Sirina 1 = 800, Varijacija D = 400 Revit recognizes that problematic connector has width of 400 and that if I try to draw duct from that connector (dimension lets say 700x350) he automatically makes transition from that problematic connector to the dimension that I want (and not to draw duct as on picture attached earlier - Question2_P2.jpg)...

Tnx for explanation about insulation...

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous

And the interesting thing about the insulation is that if I choose dimension X (see Picture) less then 400 mm it draws insulation as on right tee on picture and if choose dimension X to be higher then 400 mm it draws insulation as seen on left tee of picture 😄

Message 10 of 22
CoreyDaun

Can you post the latest version of your Family file?

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous

Here it is...

Best regards!

Message 12 of 22
CoreyDaun

brane1012 wrote:

"ad 2 - Hm, I am not sure if I get it...for that connector I don't need connector control...I will try to explain on the picture I sent earlier (Picture 1.jpg)...

From the picture I want to be able to define this parameters (instance parameters): Sirina 1, Varijacija D and Height.

I do not need the connector control for the problematic connector...but I want that if I put Sirina 1 = 800, Varijacija D = 400 Revit recognizes that problematic connector has width of 400 and that if I try to draw duct from that connector (dimension lets say 700x350) he automatically makes transition from that problematic connector to the dimension that I want (and not to draw duct as on picture attached earlier - Question2_P2.jpg)..."

I do not believe that there is any way to escape this issue, and maintain the desired functionality of the Family. If there is a solution to this, it is currently beyond my meager knowledge.

brane1012 wrote:

"And the interesting thing about the insulation is that if I choose dimension X (see Picture) less then 400 mm it draws insulation as on right tee on picture and if choose dimension X to be higher then 400 mm it draws insulation as seen on left tee of picture" 😄

I do not have a definite explanation, but I believe that the graphics of the Duct Insulation is being driven by a Sweep Extrusion with a Profile that is located by the Primary Connector. In adjusting some of the Parameters that control the Duct Fitting's sizes, the Insulation changes. See attached image. I do not have the opportunity to delve into this further, but I suppose one can experiment with a new Family to see how the Insulation is generated.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous

I tried few similar original Revit families and I think that you are right...I think only solution is to manually add the transition to the desired dimension...

And I don't know what to say about insulation...I think developers should redesign whole thing about it because now it's pretty confusing and pretty strange...just my opinion 🙂

Tnx for your help!

p.s. I have another (but I think pretty simple) problem so if you could check this I would be very thankful...I downloaded a valve family from the TA Hydronics site and when I choose the size of the valve it normally puts the valve into project...but then I investigated family a little bit deeper and I found out that family isn't parametric but it has a lot of sizes (types) inside one family and I am curious to know how to do that...

I attached family and pictures with explanation (hope it helps 🙂 )

Best regards!

Message 14 of 22
CoreyDaun

brane1012 wrote:

"p.s. I have another (but I think pretty simple) problem so if you could check this I would be very thankful...I downloaded a valve family from the TA Hydronics site and when I choose the size of the valve it normally puts the valve into project...but then I investigated family a little bit deeper and I found out that family isn't parametric but it has a lot of sizes (types) inside one family and I am curious to know how to do that..."

One can create multiple Types for a Family in the Family Editor (or even in the Project by duplicating a Type) and clicking "New..." under 'Family Types' on the right side of the dialog. The current Type is displayed in the "Name:" pull-down at the top. Each Type has its own set of parameter values, so in the Project, one can select the element and use the Type Selector (at the top of Properties) to change the selected element's Type.

There is more info in Revit Help:  Creating Family Types  |  Adding a Type to a Family

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous

Yeah but I don't get it how this family doesn't have any dimensional constrains...it looks like this family has 5 separate files (types) combined inside one file (family) and I don't get it how that can be done...I deleted alled parameters inside family and he keeps on changing dimensions of the valve as I choose different type...Please look inside family if I am not asking too much...

Message 16 of 22
CoreyDaun

In this particular case, each possible size of this fitting is modeled as its own Generic Model Family, as you can see in the Project Browser. This Family employs a <Family Type...> Parameter, "magiFamilyGeom<Generic Models>", which controls which Family is displayed. A <Family Type...> Parameter allows you to choose a Category (upon creation of the Parameter) and then a list of all of the Family Types of that Category in this Family are available in a pull-down list.

Now, if select the instance of the nested Generic Annotation, you'll see "Label" under Properties, which links it to a <Family Type...> Parameter of the same Category. This means that this instance will become whatever Type that the Parameter dictates.

Using this method has its advantages and disadvantages. In this particular case, I think it is detrimental because now the file size is bolstered by several nested Families. I am assuming that the author didn't understand how to use constraints and make parametric geometry, hence, he found an alternate method.

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous

Tnx for the explanation and for all your help...

Best regards!

Message 18 of 22
jeremy.colombe

Just ran into this issue myself with my auto sizing VAV's. I don't want the connectors to resize I want them to match the manufacturers sizes. Rather than make your sizes perfect, make them a millimeter off. Then when revit connects to the box it will add a transition rather than match the connector to duct size. 

Message 19 of 22
fabiosato
in reply to: jeremy.colombe

Hello,

How are you setting the duct connectors in your VAV?

They should not follow the duct size, but the opposite, they should keep their original size, creating the transition you want.

They shouldn´t be set to fittings.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 20 of 22
jeremy.colombe
in reply to: fabiosato

I let my VAV's autosize based upon airflow but got to reconnect the ductwork when the airflows update sometimes to get the right transition. I have parameters that I can change so the sizing criteria for each box can be individually tailored. They are Mech Equip with connectors set as calculated and preset the flow goes from terminal (auto neck size on round diffusers) to the box where the box sizes then to the unit for calculation. Works well to get things moving in earlier stages but aim is to get you 60-80% there not 100%

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report