Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transparent/Ghost Surface 2013

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
WheelerCJ
2833 Views, 10 Replies

Transparent/Ghost Surface 2013

Hi,

I have recently upgraded our project from 2012>2013 and have come across this issue. I use a lot of linked cad files for background and always seemed to have a problem with draw order but a mixture of ghosting surfaces and raising elevations it worked. Now in 2013 I don't see the option for ghosting, am I missing something?

2012.JPG

2013.JPG

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
WheelerCJ
in reply to: WheelerCJ

Just to clarify what I'm after in case there is a better way to do it in 2013.

Looking at the orange border that is a linked CAD file and all the grey lines (circles/planting) is another linked CAD file.

Orange file - Base offset 0.00m

Grey file - Base offset -2.00m

What it looks like in Revit before plotting (how I would expect it to print);

revit.JPG

How it plots - Notice the grey lines showing through the orange;

revit pdf.JPG

Message 3 of 11
CoreyDaun

Ghost Surfaces and the Transparency checkbox have been removed and replaced with a sliding scale for Surface Transparency. Is the trouble you've illustrated in your second post what you're running into after adjusting these Surface Transparency scales?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 11
WheelerCJ
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for your reply.

My problem is that the ghost surface option made my linked files work and display as I needed them to. The slider option does nothing for the linked files, it makes no difference at all whatever the % is.

I spent a lot of time figuring out to to control draw order for linked files in 2012 and with this option taken away I'm back to square one and with a deadline looming on Friday it's not ideal, arghhhh!!

I'm aware that not everyone uses linked files in RMEP but surely there should be a way to control the order of them?

Message 5 of 11
CoreyDaun

Happyunited123 wrote:

"I spent a lot of time figuring out to to control draw order for linked files in 2012 and with this option taken away I'm back to square one and with a deadline looming on Friday it's not ideal, arghhhh!!"

Of course. As soon as you figure out how to get what you want, the universe just has to put a stop to that!

Happyunited123 wrote:

"I'm aware that not everyone uses linked files in RMEP but surely there should be a way to control the order of them?"

Are your linked CAD files attached as model elements or as annotative elements (via "This View Only")?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 11
WheelerCJ

They are attached as linked files, they are only 2D elements in plan and have nothing to do with 3d Revit objects. They are just backgrounds/boundaries that are needed to produce the drawing.

It's frustrating that there was a workaround in RMEP 2012 but nothing available for 2013.

Message 7 of 11
CoreyDaun

Under Print Setup, try changing your settings to "Raster Processing" instead.

Message 8 of 11
WheelerCJ

That works but the plot quality is very poor 😞

Message 9 of 11
CoreyDaun

After digging into it a little bit, I don't think that there's a good solution to this. The only other way to even get close to what you want is to change the Discipline to Plumbing and take advantage of the MEP Hidden Lines, which can be adjusted to keep some of the imported lines from overlapping the model lines. It's not a real good solution, but it's the best I could find.

Message 10 of 11
WheelerCJ

Hello,

Autodesk emailed me on the 7th August 2013 asking if I needed further assistance but since then I haven't heard back from them. This is still an on-going issue I'm facing. We had to let the last issue out the door even with this problem but I would like a responce with Autodesk.

Is there somewhere in my settings I can check if they have replied to me?

Thank you

Message 11 of 11
CoreyDaun

What you probably received (I'm guessing) is an automatic message that this forum software sends out if your thread was replied to, but no Solution was accepted. Have you opened a Support Case with Autodesk? This is a separate process from these forums - a Support Case can be created through the Autodesk Subscription Center: Technical Support.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report