Valued Contributor
lsop1409
Message 1 of 18 (547 Views)
Accepted Solution

Transfer Room Names to MEP

547 Views, 17 Replies
02-12-2014 05:18 AM

Hi

I have an Architects model linked into my MEP model. The Architect hasused Room Tags to tag the rooms in their model. Can these be displayed in my MEP model, or do I need to recreate.

I have tried all of the usual VG modifications to the linked file etc.

How are people adding room names to their MEP models, it would be good if I can move the room names around to avoid my services when producing views on a sheet.

There are two ways to do this:

1. Tag the rooms! Yep, you can tag elements in linked files. This way your room names stay current with the Architects and you get to choose what and how and where you display those tags. Same data, just looking the way you want.

2. A bit of a longer method, but one that many MEP users opt for: Create spaces in your model. It's great for doing conceptual analysis, and what's more, set up right, you can then tag the spaces in your model. There is a tool for subscription users (Revit MEP Space Naming Utility) so that the space names match the architectural or change the tag to read the room names.

You can get the architectural information through into your view by manipulating VG, but you would have to know what view in the linked file to specify, and put up with the location / size / style of the tag.
HTH

You have two approaches to choose from:

#1 - You can tag elements that belong to a linked model, so you should be able to load in the architect's Room Tag family and then directly tag each of the Rooms. You can even use the "Tag All Not Tagged" tool to accomplish this; just make sure that the "include elements from linked files" option is enabled.

#2 - You could create HVAC Spaces, which you may be using in your MEP Model anyway. When a Space is placed in the same location as a Room, it will associate with it (select your link and go to Type Properties to make sure that the "Room Bounding" option is enabled). There is an free Add-In called Space Naming Utility that is available for free in the Autodesk Subscription Center that will help you keep the Space Names/Numbers up to date with the Rooms in the Linked Model. Also, you could have your Space Tag (you will have to recreate the Arch's Room Tag) report the "Room Name/Number" in lieu of the "Space Name/Number".

Depending on how in-depth you use Revit, #2 might be the recommended choice. An example I can give to support #2 is that if you are using Panel Schedules, those are only capable of reporting the Panel's Space, and cannot reference the Room Name/Number parameters, so you would have to use Spaces for this to report any data. (A work-around to this is to create a Shared Parameter (Text), add it as a Project Parameter, substitute this one for Location in your Panel Schedule, and rely on manual entry for the panel's location.)

D'oh! Simon beat me to the punch!

Instead of rotating the viewport on the sheet, rotate the crop region in the view. No need to do anything to the room tags.

Contributor
simon.whitbread
Message 2 of 18 (534 Views)

Re: Transfer Room Names to MEP

02-12-2014 05:42 AM in reply to: lsop1409
There are two ways to do this:

1. Tag the rooms! Yep, you can tag elements in linked files. This way your room names stay current with the Architects and you get to choose what and how and where you display those tags. Same data, just looking the way you want.

2. A bit of a longer method, but one that many MEP users opt for: Create spaces in your model. It's great for doing conceptual analysis, and what's more, set up right, you can then tag the spaces in your model. There is a tool for subscription users (Revit MEP Space Naming Utility) so that the space names match the architectural or change the tag to read the room names.

You can get the architectural information through into your view by manipulating VG, but you would have to know what view in the linked file to specify, and put up with the location / size / style of the tag.
HTH
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 3 of 18 (531 Views)

02-12-2014 05:53 AM in reply to: lsop1409

You have two approaches to choose from:

#1 - You can tag elements that belong to a linked model, so you should be able to load in the architect's Room Tag family and then directly tag each of the Rooms. You can even use the "Tag All Not Tagged" tool to accomplish this; just make sure that the "include elements from linked files" option is enabled.

#2 - You could create HVAC Spaces, which you may be using in your MEP Model anyway. When a Space is placed in the same location as a Room, it will associate with it (select your link and go to Type Properties to make sure that the "Room Bounding" option is enabled). There is an free Add-In called Space Naming Utility that is available for free in the Autodesk Subscription Center that will help you keep the Space Names/Numbers up to date with the Rooms in the Linked Model. Also, you could have your Space Tag (you will have to recreate the Arch's Room Tag) report the "Room Name/Number" in lieu of the "Space Name/Number".

Depending on how in-depth you use Revit, #2 might be the recommended choice. An example I can give to support #2 is that if you are using Panel Schedules, those are only capable of reporting the Panel's Space, and cannot reference the Room Name/Number parameters, so you would have to use Spaces for this to report any data. (A work-around to this is to create a Shared Parameter (Text), add it as a Project Parameter, substitute this one for Location in your Panel Schedule, and rely on manual entry for the panel's location.)

D'oh! Simon beat me to the punch!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Valued Contributor
lsop1409
Message 4 of 18 (520 Views)

02-12-2014 06:22 AM in reply to: simon.whitbread

Thanks Gents,

I have used method no1 as this suits my needs at this time, but i will need method No2 in the future.

I have now modified the standard room tag to suit my own styles/sizes etc and added this to the model via the Tag All method described, which is exactly what I was looking for.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 5 of 18 (503 Views)

02-12-2014 07:20 AM in reply to: lsop1409

Interesting. You got two excellent responses, and in both of them, option # 1 and option # 2 were referring to the same features. What a happy coincidence.

By the way, welcome to the forum, Simon! Nice to see you here.

For those of you who don't know yet, Simon Whitbread is co-author of the Master Revit MEP book series, and the autor of the video tutorials of Infinite Skills, on MEP and Families.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Contributor
simon.whitbread
Message 6 of 18 (487 Views)

02-12-2014 08:27 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

Wow! That's scarey!

Almost identical answers from different continents minutes apart - I think it's the MEP in us. I only beat you to the punch because I wrote less :smileyhappy:

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 7 of 18 (476 Views)

02-12-2014 09:45 AM in reply to: lsop1409

By the way, there is an option somewhat "in between" option 1 and option 2 :

Option # 1.5: Make spaces, tag the spaces, modify the space tag so that instead of using the name property of the space, it works with the name property of the rooms.

However, I agree, the most recommended method is Option # 2, because there are some spaces that need to be accounted for HVAC that are not rooms in the architectural model (plenum spaces and sliver spaces). So, it is recommended that you create your own spaces and your own names for those spaces, some of them with the help of the Naming Utility.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 8 of 18 (469 Views)

02-12-2014 10:04 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo_Medina wrote:

"By the way, there is an option somewhat "in between" option 1 and option 2 :

Option # 1.5: Make spaces, tag the spaces, modify the space tag so that instead of using the name property of the space, it works with the name property of the rooms..."

Yep, which is the method we primarily use in the small MEP office. I actually did kinda sneak that bit on the end on my #2. :smileywink:

CADastrophe wrote:

"#2 - You could... <fast-forward>... Also, you could have your Space Tag (you will have to recreate the Arch's Room Tag) report the "Room Name/Number" in lieu of the "Space Name/Number"."

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 9 of 18 (466 Views)

02-12-2014 10:24 AM in reply to: lsop1409

Ah, OK, I missed that. So it was literally option # 1.5, at the end of option # 1. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Contributor
Mehdi.Kardehi
Message 10 of 18 (440 Views)

02-12-2014 07:34 PM in reply to: CADastrophe
This is very odd that space naming utility is only available to subscription users!! it has to be embedded into Revit by Autodesk.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.