Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer custom UI settings (quick access toolbar) to another computer.

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
chiefbraincloud
4782 Views, 9 Replies

Transfer custom UI settings (quick access toolbar) to another computer.

Ok, I've done my due diligence and searched until I'm blue in the face, but I can't find a relevant post so here's my question.

I have to go to Cheyenne, WY (from Denver area) on Monday to work in our office there (on one of their computers, I don't have a laptop), on Revit MEP 2013.  I know how to, and have, exported my shortcut key settings, but what would really be helpful is if I can somehow transfer my quick access toolbar settings.

I hate the ribbon, and have about 95% of all the buttons I ever use copied onto the quick access toolbar.  It will slow me down if I can't have that in Cheyenne on Monday.

Dave O.                                                                  Sig-Logos32.png
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

just copy from/to the file UIState.dat (copy past the following text in Windows Explorer Address bar or WinKey+R %userprofile%\Autodesk\Revit\ next select the folder for your flavor of Revit in my case the file is in C:\Users\nmysorewala\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2013 %userprofile% is a builtin variable in windows that enumerates to the Appdata Roaming folder %temp% is another one that you can use to go to the current user TEMP folder in a jiffy. just type in the address bar.

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Autodesk Expert Elite Member
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below
Message 3 of 10

Thank you very much for the information.  Unfortunately I have to be in Cheyenne at 8:30 AM on Monday (130 mile drive from my house) and it would add 25 more miles (through the worst morning traffic in Denver) to go to the office and get it now.

I guess I could try to get my boss to email it to me on Monday morning.

Dave O.                                                                  Sig-Logos32.png
Message 4 of 10

And, for the masses, it should read %AppData%\Autodesk\Revit\ to get you to the right place.

I just took the time to modify my home setup, so I guess I can just use this one instead of having to get my boss involved.

This should not be so difficult to figure out.  If Autodesk is going to provide a means (such as it is) to modify the user interface, then there should be an EASY way to transfer those settings to another computer.  I don't know, say a button in the options dialogue, on the USER INTERFACE tab, that says "Export Customizations", with a button next to that that says "Import".

If that seems a bit much to ask, then it should be documented in the help, such that a search for "transfer user interface" would come up with the information.

Message 5 of 10

Yes it should say %APPDATA%. my mistake.

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below
Message 6 of 10
Mark_Bunn
in reply to: chiefbraincloud

Also it shouldn't be version specific. If there is something that doesn't apply to a version, just ignore it. It's mildly inconveniant to keep up 3 different setups. I don't know how many times i've tried a shortcut a few times until i remember it was in another year. at least shortcuts are easy i guess.
Message 7 of 10
RobDraw
in reply to: Mark_Bunn

You can post your thoughts in the Ideas forum if you think this should be a new feature.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 8 of 10
RJClifton
in reply to: chiefbraincloud

I followed these steps and tried to copy that file from 2020 to 2022 and the quick access toolbar is the only thing that did not transfer over.

Message 9 of 10

Same here, the UIState.dat trick doesn't seem to work any longer. Tested in 2020, 2021 and 2022.

Any workaround?

Message 10 of 10

Hi, is there any update from the Autodesk team?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report