Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Titleblock shared vs instance parameters

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
lsop1409
6943 Views, 12 Replies

Titleblock shared vs instance parameters

Hi

I have created a drawing sheet using the titleblock template. I have also created a shared parameters file containing a number a parameters (Client Line 1, Client Line 2, Project Line 1, Project Line 2 etc)  that I would like to appear automatically across all of my sheets in a project. I add my shared parameters to my project parameters so that when i insert my titleblock parameters appear. This works fine, if i have 20 sheets in my project and change the info as above, it changes across all of my 20 titleblocks but....................

How do i add instance parameters to my titleblock family, so i can change the title on each sheet etc and it does not update across all sheets?

If I try to add a label everything is greyed out in the edit label dialogue except 'add parameter', this opens parameter properties that only allows me to select one of my shared parameters that i created in my shared file. Adding a new param to my shared file won't let me select instance?

Is there a way to add labels to titleblocks that are unique to 1 drawing?

Thankyou.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
abulla
in reply to: lsop1409

Something definitely doesn't sound right. You shouldn't even have a project parameters option when you're making a title block family. There are some default labels that come in when you start a title block family, including Sheet Name and Sheet Number, which are some of the instance parameters you're looking for.

TB param.PNG

TB labels.PNG

Message 3 of 13
lsop1409
in reply to: abulla

Thanks for the reply. I caused some confusion. I add my shared parameters to my project parameters in my actual revit project, this allows me to globally update various sheet parameters. I have just used standard text for the items i need to change individually for each sheet and just copy and paste into each drawing sheet when I create a new one.

Message 4 of 13
abulla

Ah ok, in that case, add the labels you want to be instance parameters Sheet Name, Sheet Number, etc. within the title block family itself. This way you can easily create sheet lists and you won't be using just text.

Message 5 of 13
lsop1409

The software won't allow me to add labels with instance parameters, only labels with shared parameters. In my titleblock family, taken from the titleblock template provided within revit, if i select Label and try to place the label i have to add either the parameters supplied by revit or one of my own shared parameters from my shared parameters file. I must select either one of these or I cannot place the label, all other option are greyed out, i must be missing something.

Message 6 of 13
abulla

Sorry, my answer may have been confusing. The built-in Revit labels are the ones you want to use in your title block family.

Message 7 of 13
tim.winnington

Add the parameters in the titleblock family as you would for any label in a family.  It must a shared parameter.  When you insert into your project you must then bring the parameters into the project to allow the custom paramters to be edited.  If you add the parameter as Project parameter they will be a global project parameter but the one you are after is assign the shared parameter as sheet and this will allow customisation on each sheet.

http://revitoped.blogspot.com.au/2009/08/titleblock-parameters.html

Message 8 of 13
lsop1409
in reply to: tim.winnington

I'm still struggling to get this to work, i have:

1. Created a shared parameter named 'sheet title'

2. Added a label to my titleblock family and added the shared parameter 'sheet title' to the label

3. Saved and reloaded sheet into project

4. In my project selected>project parameters and added 'sheet title

5. In parameter properties for 'sheet title, under 'categories' selected the 'sheet' checkbox as shown below

If i now highlight my sheet a red question mark appears not allowing me to modify the value, as opposed to a blue question mark for a project parameter where i can change the value.

Any ideas where I am going wrong? Thankyou.

Message 9 of 13
tim.winnington

Which version are you using?

I have had issues in earlier versions you must select the parameter first before assigning the category.  Testing this morning in 2013 did not have the problem.

The steps you are going through should work. Delete the parameter and add again selecting the parameter then assigning the category.

Message 10 of 13
abulla

You shouldn't need steps 4 and 5 at all, I think. Just adding the labels in the title block family should work fine.

Message 11 of 13
tim.winnington

Titleblock families are quite different to other families and the parameters do not work unless they are added to the project.

The best way is to configure the parameters into your template.

Message 12 of 13
lsop1409

The process now works fine as shown above in steps 1 to 5. Steps 1 to 3 leave the question mark shown as red and uneditable, after steps 4 and 5 it appears blue and can be edited and is unique for each sheet.

Thanks for all of the input on getting this sorted.

Message 13 of 13
BRAVOENGARQ

a simple way is just create and insert a generic tag family with instance parameter in the sheet, and on the sheet link each text to a diferent text parameter.

watch the video below to understand better:

http://youtu.be/k2nf0hPEks4

hope it helps

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report