Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The MEP beginner

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
stevenson53
438 Views, 5 Replies

The MEP beginner

Hi There,

I am new to REVIT MEP and wish to start with some simple 3D drawing.  I have some reasonable exerience in 2D AutoCAD.  I'm not bothered with the analysis side of the program at this time.

So my question is, does anyone know of any training videos for the MEP beginner, maybe a written idiot's guide!  I don't want to become an expert, just enough to be able to produce drawings in 3D for inclusion into architects drawings.

I am interested in Ductwork and hydraulic plant/pipework only.

Thanks
Paul

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
bvm76
in reply to: stevenson53

Welcome to the Discussion Group!

Check out tutorial videos in Youtube. There are plenty of it. You might see there what you are looking for.....good luck!
Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered!
Thank You.
Message 3 of 6
stevenson53
in reply to: bvm76

Thanks but the problem is that there are so many on You Tube. 

Many want to get into the full capacity of Revit MEP whereas I just want to start simple by learning to drawing with the program. 

I just thought that someone might know a simpler way to get started without reading the full manual. 

A bit like when you get a manual for a car which is 200 pages long and then a 6 page "get you started" pamphlet and then learn the 200 pages over the life of the car!  

Message 4 of 6

For free you get stuff; disorganized and incoherent. You have to put in the time to distinguish between what works and what doesn't. It's the appropriate route when you have morefree time than cash. Autodesk's own videos and those you'll find on You Tube are the place to start.

If you place a higher value on your time and are willing to spend cash to do more, get further, in less time then...

If you prefer video then consider MEP focused training offerings from Lynda.comCAD LearningCADD Microsystems/Global eTraining or Infinite Skills (in no particular order and there are others). They each have their own approach to pricing and delivery.

If you like books do a search on Amazon or Google. Anything produced by the following will be good to have on a shelf in your library: Wiley/Sybex, Paul Aubin, Ascent, and Daniel Stine (all in no particular order and there are others).

If you're bothering to do this at all, you are investing in your future employment opportunities. People don't seem to question spending a 100k on a formal education but once they've started paying back those loans they only want free videos to learn from. Seems a bit crazy to me. 🙂

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 5 of 6

Thankyou, all good advice!

Message 6 of 6

I meant to include, it will help if you focus on a project you are already familiar with,even completed previously. It might seem silly to do something you've already done but that will free you of design focused questions. You can delve into that aspect of using the software later once you are more comfortable with the basics.

Try to approach it with an open mind. Revit is not the same as AutoCAD or Microstation or any other software. It is owned by Autodesk but it was adopted. Revit's parents (they sold their child to Autodesk) have a different attitude about things, like bedtime, than AutoCAD's parents do. Revit was raised for a few years by its birth parents but then adopted by Autodesk. Revit MEP (and Structure) was created after the adoption took place but it still has many of the beliefs it was born into. When we try to get along with someone that has different beliefs, like growing up in an AutoCAD or Microstation household, we are bound to have some different experiences and expectations. It takes some getting used to.

Good luck and have fun!

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report