Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System of nested families

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
srva80
1180 Views, 7 Replies

System of nested families

Does anyone know of a way to pull/push system information through to a nested family?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CoreyDaun
in reply to: srva80

You can "push" parameters, but you cannot "pull" them. If you select the nested family, you can go to Properties (for instance parameters) or Type Properties (for type parameters) and create a link using the little button to the right of the parameter (see image below). The parameters must be of the same data type (i.e. Text, Air Flow, Number).

NestedParameterLink.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 8
srva80
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Yes I am aware of that. Let me explain a little more...

Im a developing a paired flange family.. It consists of several nested families, ie. bolts/studs, nuts, gasket and the other flange. The reason for doing this is each piece needs to be listed as a seperate line item on the BOM. The number and size of all of these objects is determined based on the nominal diameter of the pipe its connected to.

The system name is also something that we need to see in the BOM for each object as its used for another parameter that we order from . When I place this flange on the pipe only the "outter/host" family recieves any information about the piping system its conected to. I need all the pieces and parts to show as they are on that system.

Hope that explains it a little better..

Thanks!!

Message 4 of 8
CoreyDaun

Understood, and what you need then is to make the nested family Shared. This will allow the nested family to be scheduled as separate entities, even if there are multiple instances nested within multiple different families. In order to make a family Shared, open that family and under Family Category and Parameters, check the box for the Shared Parameter.

NestedParameterLink.JPG

Don't hesitate to ask if you need any more info, or run into any problems.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 8
srva80

Yes.. I have all that taken care of. Everything works perfect, it even choses the correct studs and nuts based on the material of the flange and even the length of the studs... I just cant get the system name to come through..

Message 6 of 8
CoreyDaun

"System" will not go through to the nested family. In order to convey that information, you will have to create a Shared Parameter (or use a field like Description), place that in the Nested Family, and then feed that parameter though a manually inputted value in the host family.

Message 7 of 8
Randy_CaS

What template did you start with? In a mech equip family there is a radio button to associate the system name, which may not be present in another template.

Capture.JPG

Message 8 of 8
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Randy_CaS

You're right - there is a linkable parameter there, but Revit is not smart enough to apply the System Name to the embedded family. It appears to be just a text parameter that you have to manually control still.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report