Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system Name

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
revitworkbench
487 Views, 10 Replies

system Name

Is there a way to associate a duct accessory such as a hanger with a system Particularly the "system name" which is a default revit parameter? I figured it would be easy, but I dont see how. Can anybody help? Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
CoreyDaun
in reply to: revitworkbench

I believe that your Family would require a Duct Connector in order to join the Duct System, even if it is set to the Part Type "Attaches To". Try experimenting with this, and post back here if you run into problems. This is not something I'm very familiar with, but I'll dig into this if needed.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 11
revitworkbench
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I do have a duct connector, it is set to "fitting" I changed it to "Attaches to" under family parameters but that seemed to not have any effect. Please advise
Message 4 of 11
CoreyDaun

They way that your Family was created is depicted by "A" in the image below; the Connector is hosted and oriented to the Ref. Plane and the geometry of the Family is centered around the Connector. This is designed as a "Breaks Into" Duct Accessory. As it is designed now, for the element to be properly connected to the Duct System if set to the Part Type "Attaches to", the Connector would be oriented to the side of the Duct, thus appearing as "A" in the Plan and 3D Views. Although this element is "properly" connected to the Duct System, the geometry of the Family is in the wrong orientation.

I created the alternate Family "B" with the Duct Connector still hosted to the Ref. Plane, but with the geometry of the Family designed around the intent of the Part Type "Attaches to". The element is connected to the Duct System and the geometry appears correct.

Note that when both of these elements were placed on the Duct segment, they were placed by clicking on the center-line of the Duct. This will ensure that they are connected to the System; selecting the edge of the Duct will result in an orphaned element. How are you getting your Family into the correct orientation?

DuctAccessory.JPG

In an effort to correct Family "A", simply recreating the Duct Connector hosted to the face of the geometry does not work. The direction of the Connector determines the orientation by the placement of the element is still dependent on the Family's origin.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 11
revitworkbench

Well that's a fantastic solution but, my duct connector is not hosted on the reference plane. It appears in a cross sectional view in the "front" elevation. So maybe it is connected to the Front/Back plane? I don't understand how Your B hanger works exactly, but I am nervous how many changes that I would have to make considering all the parameters and planes and locked dimensions, and loaded families that I have in place. I have an add in called SysQue that adds the hangers in for me. I don't have to align them manually, but I can.
Message 6 of 11
CoreyDaun

Yes, the Duct Connector in your Family is hosted to the Front/Back Reference Plane, but the situation remains the same. I do believe that there will have to be a fair amount of change and redesign work involved in correcting this issue, but that might be necessary either way; when I inserted and placed an instance of your Family, the geometry appeared to be upside-down when I viewed it in a 3D View. Am I mistaken?

Message 7 of 11
revitworkbench

Well, when I go down to the family in the project browser, and create an instance, it comes in just fine. It also comes in just fine when my addin places them. I dont know what you are doing differently. But that has always confused me how people always place there models on the reference plane (flat plane) and expect them to come into the model upright. Maybe they use the same method as you? I dont know whats different, but mine comes in as expected with out a hick-up. Everything I do is in 3D view though so I never tried a 2D placement...
Message 8 of 11

I still dont understand how yours, DOESNT come in on its side?? Can you email it to me so I can take a look at it please? thanks
Message 9 of 11
CoreyDaun

michaelmead wrote:
"Well, when I go down to the family in the project browser, and create an instance, it comes in just fine. It also comes in just fine when my addin places them. I dont know what you are doing differently. But that has always confused me how people always place there models on the reference plane (flat plane) and expect them to come into the model upright. Maybe they use the same method as you? I dont know whats different, but mine comes in as expected with out a hick-up. Everything I do is in 3D view though so I never tried a 2D placement..."

If I insert an instance of your Family independent of any Duct, then yes, it appears to be oriented correctly - but if I attach it to any Duct, then it comes in upside-down even in a 3D View. So maybe when your add-in is placing instances of these hangers, it is not associating them with the Duct System, it's just lining up the geometry?

Message 10 of 11
revitworkbench

Is there a way to add an new duct connection in such a way that the family will associate with the system correctly, but I wont have to move any of the other properties? Also, On these hangers you sent me how do you get them to autosize correctly? I mean I opened up the default damper file in revit and tried to put the duct connection on the side like you have but it either always comes in on the side or the default size (which isn’t the size of the duct that I am adding it to.)

Message 11 of 11
CoreyDaun

I've played around with this a little bit and it appears that you're correct in that the Family is no longer automatically sized when changed to Part Type "Attaches to". The sample Family I sent you (which is depicted in the images in my previous post) does not have any size parametrics - it was intended purely to demonstrate the orientation of it. I didn't even think that it would lose the association with the Duct Size parameters, so I didn't even mess with that.

If this is indeed the case, you are in a "Pick your Poison" scenario. You can either A) keep your Family the way it is and make use of the Add-In, but you won't be able to associate the hangers with the Duct System and will have to be moved manually if the duct moves, or B) you can redesign your Family to mount to the Duct and associate with the System and it will move with the host Duct, but it will have to be sized manually.

I'm sorry I can't be of any more help in this situation - I'm of the electrical discipline and have been learning this along with you as we go!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report