Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System inspection

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
joefields
257 Views, 5 Replies

System inspection

I've got a hydronic heating water system with two boilers feeding several hot water coils through out the building. I've got all the pipe drawn up and connected and all the equipment is in the system but I don't seem to be getting any flows calculated in my pipes. I also recall from a tutorial that there is a system inspection tool that I do not have an option for. I have checked my pipes over and over and I can't find any points where it is disconnected but still, no flow. Do I have to have a piece of equipment set for the systems to make them calculate flow or is it that I have an open point somewhere in the line?

Thanks
Joe Fields PE, LEED AP BD+C
Mechanical Engineer and C# Enthusiast
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: joefields

Joe,
You don't get an inspection option unless you have a "well connected" System. I am assuming that you've done a couple things:

1. You've created a System that logically associates the different elements in your pipe system.

2. You don't have open ends in your system.

3. You have flows defined.

I'm pretty sure that you do, but I want to cover that basic first.

Next, what happens when you run the Check Pipe Systems command? What error do you get for that specific system? That will provide me some information.

Kyle B
Revit MEP Product Manager
http://inside-the-system.typepad.com/

P.S. I've posted videos about Systems already on my blog, and I'm going over Connectors right now.

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 6
KyleB_Autodesk

Joe,
I just posted some more information on my blog about flow propagation in systems. Should be helpful for you if you're still having difficulty with the underlying workings. Check out both posts in my "Go With the Flow" series. I've got videos explaining how this all works.

Cheers,
Kyle B
Revit MEP Product Manager
http://inside-the-system.typepad.com/

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 6
joefields

Kyle,

Thanks for the videos, they are very helpful in understanding how Revit looks at systems and connectors and flow. I think the issues I am having are one or two more episodes of yours away from being answered.

I am understanding everything right up until I want to start creating systems with all this equipment so I can look at flow and pressure drop and all the other fun things Revit can calculate for me. I have mostly been doing hydronic work with chiller and boiler systems. The one thing that trips me up is the pumps since they have two connectors that should both be on either the supply or the return side together but I can't put both of them on the same system.

Your chiller-pump-AHU example is getting closer to what I am looking at. Just add another chiller in parallel and have it feed more than one AHU. I just need some help in pulling everything together as a system.

Thanks for all your help in explaining this to us.
Message 5 of 6
KyleB_Autodesk

What capacity is that second Chiller operating? Is is purely for backup, or will they both be operating under full load? That would dictate how to configure the flow in the system.

I can throw together a modified version of the system for you once I understand the flow configuration.

Cheers,
Kyle B

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 6
joefields

The project I am currently working on is a data center so the second chiller is purely there for redundancy. It might be good to see it done both ways but I think I understand the flow factor more now to use that if they were both running.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report