Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Colors and Exporting to Navisworks.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
BCERBimMan
17504 Views, 10 Replies

System Colors and Exporting to Navisworks.

When you export a Revit 3D view to Navisworks, any color overrides applied to systems don't transfer into Navisworks. Adding color back is a pain in the **** and doesnt really work systems. It's more duct/pipe.

My question is that I heard from someone or read it somewhere, but don't recall from who or from where, that if you assigned a material to your system, and that material had a color assigned too it, the color would transfer into Navisworks. I have finally got around to trying this and I am not getting it to work.

Is this even possible? If so, how do you do it? Thanks.

Jason Peckovitch
BIM Manager | Mechanical CAD Design | Father | Car/Tech Guy
BCER Engineering Inc - Denver, CO
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hello BIM MAN,

We are also facing this problem for a long time and has worked out a work around. We have actually developed Appearance profiler in navisworks which work on a set of search items and this search items are actually developed from our BIM standards. we follow systems and service types to assign colour in profiler for MEP services and type name for other AEC elements. Hence, when we have to apply colour in navisworks, we just have to  load appearance profiler and search sets in navisworks and apply it to file. it also maintains the consistency in colours as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

PK

Message 3 of 11
danielkazado
in reply to: BCERBimMan

Dear Jason,

We are able to get system colors to Navis with the attached process. The critical we found is to set the same color to system material shading and apperance as in the attached snaphots. Hope it helps.

Daniel Kazado

Please use Accept as Solution if your question is answered.
You may Give Kudos if the answer is helpful.
Message 4 of 11
jkarben

Exporting Revit 3D views as a .dwf will retain their displayed color when the .dwf is opened in Navisworks. There are differences to the element properties as compared to a .nwc export but the colors do carry over.

Similar discussion on RevitForum.org

Message 5 of 11

I guess the best Alternative solution as mentioned on the previous replies is changing only the graphics tab (Shading Color) of the material to the color you want to show and then you could duplicate this material for other system (cold and hot) and exported to Naviswork.

Once you are on Navis work you need to go to Viewpoint Tab and change the Render style to shaded to be able to see the color that you applied.

Also DWF is not a bad Idea.

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 6 of 11

I have tried changing the color of just the shading. While the duct was colored in the view, when I exported to NWC, the color was gone. My render style is already set to shaded as well.

Jason Peckovitch
Message 7 of 11

Here is a video I made, Please verify it incase you missed a step

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/2ebc16a6-633d-4c00-bc17-a8c863ce7965

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 8 of 11

was the video helpful or you still having the issue

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Message 9 of 11

I didnt see the video but just watched it and it works great. I wonder if I was having an issue with this because I was trying to do it in Revit 2013. Tried in Revt 2014 and works. Thanks.

Jason Peckovitch
Message 10 of 11
mark.silcock

DWF is a much a easier option with all the systems in a MEP model that would need sepatate materials, yes they could be added to your template. Only downside I have found is switchback doesnt work.

Message 11 of 11

Thanks for the video. Really Helpful

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report