Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suppress items in families

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
the_cad_monkey
328 Views, 5 Replies

Suppress items in families

I was curious if there was a way to suppress items in different instances when creating a family. For instance, one part might have a grill and another inline version might not. Thanks in advance for any help.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Do a search on sub-catagories. If you make a family with sub-catagories, then you can turn the linework off within Visual Graphics.
Message 3 of 6

That is useful information. Is there any way to turn this on or off for different parts in a family. One could show a grill and one would not. Or once this is turned off, is it off in all family models? Thanks.
Message 4 of 6

If you wanted to turn off different items within a family, you'd need to make as many sub categories for that family as there were parts.

Lets say you had a piece of mechanical equipment that needed access in one area. You could open the family item and add the lines indicating the access area required. Then if you go to Settings - Object Styles and then click the New button under Modify sub categories you could make a sub category called 'Access'. Highlight the new lines and go to Element Properties and select the name in the Sub Category Value box.

When the family is loaded you have the choice to change the visibility, line style, colour etc of the lines that comprise the 'Area' sub-category. But it will affect all instances of that family. One off, all off...
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: the_cad_monkey

You can have different types in the family and use yes/no parameters.

--
Margaret Wiggins
Harley Ellis Devereaux
Southfield, Mi
RME 2009
wrote in message news:6019003@discussion.autodesk.com...
That is useful information. Is there any way to turn this on or off for
different parts in a family. One could show a grill and one would not. Or
once this is turned off, is it off in all family models? Thanks.
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the help. Do either of you have a good use for a bunch of fan/blower families? If so, I can get you to some files I am doing for Loren Cook Co. I would appreciate feedback on the families if you would like to use them. Message was edited by: the_cad_monkey

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report