Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps to create correct AutoCAD drawings for Revit

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
bethanyvk
290 Views, 3 Replies

Steps to create correct AutoCAD drawings for Revit

We are a manufacturer and would like to prep our AutoCad drawings so they can be easily
linked. What steps should we go through to make sure a designer can successfully
bring these drawings into Revit.

I am not an engineer and do not know AutoCad or Revit, but need to know how to
explain the process. Through different blogs/posts it seems that different layers
within the AutoCad DWG file need to be named. Is this correct?

Any help you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks,

BethanyVK

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
L.Maas
in reply to: bethanyvk

Depends a little bit on what you will supply (2D, 3D?) and what you expect from the customers. I normally try to avoid using autocad drawings in Revit. If it is for example a floor plan layout, then I link it in, use Revit components to draw over it (walls, doors, windows etc) and unload the autocad file.

If it is more like components (equipment, plumbing material, furniture etc), I try to reproduce it in Revit by making a family. Depending on the shape of the component I can use the autocad files to trace over parts, to convert them to 3D revit part (extrusions, sweeps etc). Sometimes only a simplified version of the original (autocad) parts are needed in Revit.

In Revit you can switch of autocad layers. So normally you will switch of the layers which are not needed (e.g. texts, dimensions).

If I receive autocad file with lots of details, I normally open it in autocad and dispose of all the information not needed for use in Revit. 

Imports, like autocad normally will slow Revit down.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 4
bethanyvk
in reply to: L.Maas

Thank you for your reply.

We would be sending 3D dwg files to them. Probably modeled. When our
engineer
models them, does he have to include the finishes layers (what each part
should look like, i.e.
base; polished, work surface; Cloud Thermofoil, etc)?

Bethany Van Kempen

Functionology Deployed
3731 Northridge Drive NW
Suite 1 | Walker, MI 49544
t: 888.537.1311 | t: 616.233.9530

Mobile and Wall-Mounted Technology Workstations
www.altus-inc.com
Message 4 of 4
L.Maas
in reply to: bethanyvk

I normally look more for design intent. Especially when developing a larger building you have to keep things light. 

So it is always a balance between detail and simplicity. In general I will try to keep it simple and design/model it in such a way that it is clear what it represents. If it has to fit in somewhere than the dimensions might be more critical. Revit is not very good in organic shapes, so try to stick with simpler shapes.  Most of the time in Revit we wil not have use to look on the inside of a prodfuct and look at in a relative large scale, so modelling al the nuts and bolt is a waste. In regards to materials I normally try to stick to a limited set. So if I can (re)use materials that is a plus. Often I return to a basic color when possible (Pantone or RGB Value). It is alwways possible create Detail drawing (2D) in revit or refer to (online) documentation

I quickly looked at your website. I assume that for most users your products would only be  a (very) small part of the project. Therefore keep it simple.

For your reference I would like to point you to an Autodesk website with the Revit family guide (PDF). Good chance that your products will have to be converted to families. This guide will give you an idea of what a Revit user will need and have to do to create a family of your product. Especially chapters 5 and 15 might be of ionterest to you.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report