Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard Details in Revit?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
9136 Views, 10 Replies

Standard Details in Revit?

There are lots of standard details already in AutoCad.  My understanding is, the best way to use them is to create a drafting view in Revit and then either link or import the stardard details over from AutoCad.

But, what would it take to create standard details in Revit?  I don't think I would want to use actual families of real components, because it would be way too difficult and time consuming to create all of those families and assemble them into the standard details.  What would be the best way to assemble a library of standard details in Revit?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
bwright
in reply to: Anonymous

you have heard correctly. 

1. create a new project file call it "company standard details" or any name you wish
  2. create drafting view
  3. LINK autocad details or existing details you have created within your company
  4. trace over the detail using detail lines and adding hatch, notes etc.
  5. repeat 1-4 with all details
  6. remove all CAD links
  7. save file

when you want to use the details in a project do the following

1. open project you are working on
  2. goto insert tab > import panel > select insert from file
  3. choose your details project file
  4. choose the details you wish to use for your project in dialog box
  5. voila a clean revit detail

hope this helps

Bill Wright
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: bwright

Sounds messy!  I guess it takes quite a long time to get the line thicknesses correct so that the details look good.

Message 4 of 11
bwright

I don't think it is that messy. Does not take much time. I find a lot of firms have co-op students do this.
Alternatively you could just use the CAD file through import as you mentioned earlier. However I like to make things clean and Revit 100%
Bill Wright
Message 5 of 11
CoreyDaun

Drafting Views are ideal, but we ran into the issue of not being able to crop Drafting Views. Most of our details are contained in the same CAD file and we didn't have the time to break them up and link in each file in to a dedicated Drafting View.

What I ended up doing was creating a new Floor Plan view and turning off all Model AND Annotation Categories. Then I Linked in our 'master' CAD file with the option "This View Only". This allowed us to create Dependent Views and subsequently make use of crop regions.

I've converted a small number of details, and a couple of them I began by linking in the CAD file and then exploding it.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: CoreyDaun

What if you used one drafting view for each individual stadard detail?  That way you would insert them individually onto the sheet and be able to arrange them any way you like.

Message 7 of 11
bwright

I would use one drafting view for each detail as I had mentioned above. I think this is the best practice for less issues down the road.
Bill Wright
Message 8 of 11
CoreyDaun

Yep. Then you can reuse them as needed as described in bwright's response.

bwright wrote:

when you want to use the details in a project do the following

1. open project you are working on
  2. goto insert tab > import panel > select insert from file
  3. choose your details project file
  4. choose the details you wish to use for your project in dialog box
  5. voila a clean revit detail

That's how I've started setting them up as well - the 'Dependent View' method was purely due to time constraints.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 9 of 11
bouhadda.w

Hi, i do the same thing. but when i insert details views from my library file it doubles families, for the same type i got tow copies. for example: (interior metal stud 91mm) and ( Interior metal stud 91mm2). it creats a copy and adds (2) after each type. can sombody helps please. Thanks

Message 10 of 11
bsammis
in reply to: bouhadda.w

The types in the two projects are different. You need to make sure all of the settings match. What probably happened is that the details were created using an older version of your project template, and it has since been updated. I've run into that at my firm several times.
Message 11 of 11
bouhadda.w
in reply to: bsammis

oh Thanks. Another thing, i realized that it doubles only families which are different on their settings. Revit has the ability to detect differences between families even if it has exactly the same name .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report