Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spaces will not "expand" to rooms/boundaries

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
casquatch
15887 Views, 31 Replies

Spaces will not "expand" to rooms/boundaries

Hello,

I've run into this issue on two of our projects so far, and it has been fairly recent. I'm not sure what could be causing it, but just figured I'd check in and see if anyone else has seen it before.

When trying to place a space, the boundaries are not expanding to the bounding objects.

Yes I have checked:

-Links set to overlay & room bounding

-Spaces are visible

-All worksets visible

-Rooms within Arch link are present and can be Tab-Selected

-Level is at appropriate elevation (and Computation Height has even been adjusted)

I have also drawn a boundary box in an open area with "Space Seperator" lines and attemped to place a space within the boundary. Nothing. I tried using the "Place Spaced Automatically" tool. Nothing.

All I am able to do it place a space and Revit will give me the default rectangle that won't expand to any kind of boundary element.

Any thoughts? I'm sure there are other things I have tried and forgot to list, but is there anything I am missing?

Thanks,

Casey

I forgot to mention that these couple of projects are in 2014 Revit.

Tags (2)
31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
CoreyDaun
in reply to: casquatch

Does the linked model have finished floors by chance? If so, check to see if those are set to "Room Bounding". While the Rooms in the linked model will not be bound by these floors, the Spaces will  be.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 32
casquatch
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Yes, just checked and the floor is set to Room Bounding.

As a test, I opened a new peoject from our template, drew a box with the "Space Seperator" lines, and threw a space within them. It filled the boundary with no other 3D elements in the file (floors, walls, etc.).

This doesn't happen in the problematic project files. They give the "Space is not in a properly enclosed region" warning no matter what I do.

Message 4 of 32
troy.wright

Just realised that these two won't work according to your attempts 😕 Should have read your post more thoroughly

- Tab onto the walls and check they are room bounding?

- Draw space separator lines part way in the space. Maybe part of their wall in an area isn't connecting properly

- Try unload and reload the architectural (occasionally we have an issue where all spaces suddenly break)

Message 5 of 32
troy.wright
in reply to: troy.wright

I read a post somewhere recently commenting that if the project base point was moved spaces would not work? I wonder if it's that. You've tried anything else I could suggest

Message 6 of 32
casquatch

I actually stripped the entire MEP model down to nothing except for a plan view and a 3D view and the problem still occurs.

When I say strip, I mean strip. Only system families remain and no links. The file is about 5mb (down from about 70mb).

Another thing I didn't mention is that of the two projects I'm seeing this on so far, they were created with two different templates. So it seems like it may be related to something else. I don't even think there would be a shared family from one to the other either, since they are for two different clients with 2 different libraries.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Casey

Message 7 of 32
casquatch

I don't believe the base point or survey points have been moved since the project was started.

Message 8 of 32
troy.wright

That's very strange. Have you tried Transfer Project Standards? I can't imagine what it would be, but occasionally that works for trouble files.

Message 9 of 32
casquatch

Just did transfer project standards from our template into the bad files with everything selected and that didn't appear to change anything.
Message 10 of 32
troy.wright

Have you tried unloading and reloading all links? OK, last possibility -> any design options / phasing in the rooms?

I'm completely out of ideas now.

Message 11 of 32
casquatch

After sending a problem file to Corey (CADastrophe) and doing some troubleshooting of my own, we've come to the conclusion that this is something we can't fix on our own (without knowing the issue anyway).

We have submitted a ticket with Autodesk, so we'll see what they come back with.

I'll update when I get some info.

Thanks all!

Casey

Message 12 of 32
casquatch

After submitting this issue to Autodesk, we received an answer. Not really something that is helpful to us, but an answer still that I figured I would shared with everyone.

Essentially we were told that we need to send in the problem files into Autodesk and they would run their "internal tool" on it and send it back to us fixed.

Apparently this is an issue that can happen to any file at any time and they didn't have any real reason as to why it was happening. Thus not providing us with a solution to our problem or an answer as to why it was happening.

Sure we have a fix, but it isn't really something that helps out when we have an active project and we need to stop all users from working on it until we get a new file back from Autodesk.

It is what it is.

Thanks,

Casey

Message 13 of 32
mark.silcock

Hi this sounds similar to an issue I am hving at the moment.

Just to confirm, could you add the spaces when in the actual linked model?

Everything in this modle is room bounding as it should be, if I open the arch model I can create spaces as normal but when the arch model is linked in only some of the rooms are recognised.

Message 14 of 32
casquatch
in reply to: mark.silcock

Sounds a bit different. In our situation we are able to place spaces in the "bad" file, they just don't expand to the bounding objects (walls, ceilings, even space seperation lines). It doesn't matter if another file is linked in or not, they just don't work as expected. We can link the "bad" file into another one and use the boundary lines drawn in the "bad" file and they work perfectly fine. So it appears to be just something within that one file. It doesn't transfer to any files when linked, but it also doesn't matter if a "good" file is linked into it either.

Autodesk told us that it is something that just breaks. We aren't doing anything wrong and there isn't really anything we can do to avoid it or fix it after it happens.

Hope that helps. It sounds like your issue could be something else. Check for elements that might be causing the spaces to not recognize a room. This could be a raised floor blocking the room/space from being placed at the associated level of your view, or a few other things as well.

Thanks,
Casey

Message 15 of 32
mark.silcock

Here is the isue I am having, I have raised a ticket so will see what they say.

Message 16 of 32
JB86

I have just started experiencing the same problem with a current large project. Very frustrating problem as some levels are fine, others are broken!

Message 17 of 32
ppanico
in reply to: JB86

My office is having this issue on several big projects we have done lately, and it's also happening on a new project currently. We are not at the stage where we are using the space information for calculations as our Revit program is still crawling and not yet walking.. but if we did this would be a total pain. Like you said, while workarounds may be used, this is a big issue. 

Has there been any further investigation by Autodesk on this?

Message 18 of 32
julien.boisvert
in reply to: ppanico

We had that problem recently; the architecture model was updated and soon after, the spaces refused to expand back to the room boudaries. When I added a space separation line, the spaces would expand back to normal. I had to do this on every level to bring back all the spaces.

The models are Revit 2016, R2_UR7, on revit server.

Message 19 of 32
julien.boisvert
in reply to: ppanico

The issue we had appeared when we renamed the Architecture model which hosted the rooms. To be clear, the model was saved on the revit server, then, using revit server tools, it was renamed. Then the problems started appearing.

To correct the problem we had to delete the file completely and then save a new model with the proper name.

I hope this may help someone.

Message 20 of 32
lhalalkhor

I had the same issue with one level of my model. Then I noticed that all of my architectural components were duplicated. This duplication wasn't clear on the floor plan view or even 3D view. So, when I unchecked the Room Bounding box, my spaces were not expanded.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report