Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spaces not naming correctly

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
nickl
749 Views, 10 Replies

Spaces not naming correctly

Trying to put the end to an HVAC project. I've got a linked file from an architect that when I open has all of the rooms named and numbered specifically. When I link it to my file, create the spaces and run the space naming utility the majority of the names and numbers do not match. The weird part is some of them do match with the linked file. 

Has anyone run into anything similiar?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
CoreyDaun
in reply to: nickl

I've heard of this occurring, but I don't recall the exact cause. Sometimes this can be due to extra Floors above the level in the link still set to Room Bounding, but I can't say for sure. Can you post a sample Project file for investigation?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 11
abulla
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Yeah check the architectural model, sometimes they'll set their finish floors to Room Bounding, which messes up the spaces in the MEP model.
Message 4 of 11
nickl
in reply to: abulla

I tried to attach the files but I think they're too big. This is only my second project in Revit and my first design build, so I'm still trying to find my way around. When you say that they set their finish floors to room bounding in the link file what do you mean. It is my understanding that in order to find the spaces in the link file it needed to have room bounding set. 

Message 5 of 11
abulla

Right, so usually the architect will model the concrete floor at the beginning of the project, before they choose finishes. This floor is correctly set to Room Bounding. Then when they decide to pick finishes for their rooms, they will place another floor on top in each room that has a finish assigned to it. If this floor is set to Room Bounding as well, it will mess up our spaces.

finish_floors.png

Message 6 of 11
nickl

I've recieved a message from autodesk support regarding the issue. They seem to think it is something to do with how the rooms were named. Although I did check to see if the floors were room bounded and the one I checked was room bounded. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to select the floor in plan view, it seems like trying to grab water. 

Message 7 of 11
abulla

I usually make a 3d view and isolate the floor category.
Message 8 of 11
Alaaeldin_Alsahli

I am working on his case with the file. I opened the architect file and then I did create spacing directly on the architect file and then used the space naming utility. For the room that is causing the issue, I delete it and I tried to recreat the room with the same room name and number; the issue still there. If I recreat the room with a diffrent number, the naming utility works fine. I am trying to figure out what was the Architect workflow and see how they create these specific (Futur) room (This word Futur was within the room name) so I presume it was inactive in the begning of the project (Design options)

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 9 of 11
nickl
in reply to: Alaaeldin_Alsahli

I did go ahead and forward your message to the architect. Hopefully he can help shed some light on the problem. 

Message 10 of 11
bhunter

The rooms were created utilizing Room Separators.  This is an open office so in many cases there are not walls to define the space.  Therefore we had to utilize the Room Separators to define the boundaries of the space.  I can confirm we have a design option with several components at the south side of the Future War Room.  I can possibly get rid of that Design option if that would be helpful. 

If this doesn’t answer the question, could you be more specific about what you need?  I'm not sure if you are concerned about the room tag, a specific room parameter, or the steps and components that define the boundaries of the room?  I’m definitely willing to help; just not sure I fully understand yet.  Thanks. 

Message 11 of 11
Alaaeldin_Alsahli
in reply to: bhunter

Thanks to CADatroph and Abulla for the answer, I guess I am going to escalate this to development to see if they could find a fix for it.

For the solution, I made a video using the Architect file to demonstrate how to solve the issue. no worries I didn't show any of your secret art design 🙂

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/cb3116ab-0132-4d0f-adb0-ddf345dfd41c

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report