Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid piping to Dashed piping filter

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
sforsberg215
9304 Views, 17 Replies

Solid piping to Dashed piping filter

Hi

I have sanitary piping above the floor (ie parking garage) which must appear solid. When the pipe goes under the floor it needs to appear dashed.

I have been trying to set up a filter to do this which would cover all the underground piping systems I have, but have had no luck.

So, help me if you can, please?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Using the view ranges correctly can help with this easily. Set your Bottom Cut Plane to be FFL or SSL - whichever you require. Then set the view depth to be below the Bottom Cut Plane so all your below slab drainage will show up. You also need to set you linestyle "Beyond" to be dashed as it is set as solid by deafult (I think).

That will then show what you are looking for. However be aware that as you start to look further below the bottom cut plane to see the drawing you may also see building elements appear.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 18

The other options is to create a parameter for Vertical position, we did this as we required to see:

• Below Floor
  • Low Level
  • High Level
  • Ceiling space

In one view, filters then to change linetype, can be laborious as the user needs to remember to fill in the parameter for each new pipe and pipe fitting. Would be nice to be able to filter by height but dioesn't appear to be readilt available, would like someone to prove me wrog on that one.

Mr. Fact

Message 4 of 18
hamdibr
in reply to: sforsberg215

Hello,

i have the same problem. i cannot find the solution.

did you find how to solve it?

Message 5 of 18
julianjameson8403
in reply to: hamdibr

Both responses to the original question are solutiosn.

Just pick whichever one best suits what you are trying to achieve in your views.

Thank you!
Message 6 of 18
CADTripper

Hi sforsberg215,

I am pretty sure that you had managed to get this fixed now considering you had posted your question more than 3yrs ago but I would like to respond to this in more detailed so other users in this forum, that may have the same question in mind, will find it useful.

Making the undergound pipe to appear as dashed lines does not need to be filtered. All we have to do is adjust the view range. See below screenshot for example:

Image 1 - High Level and Underground Pipe.JPG 

Keep the bottom range to zero and make sure View Depth setting is below the depth of the underground pipe. In the example above, the underground pipe (dashed lines) was place at 600mm below ground, which within the range of your View Depth. If the underground pipe sits at -1300 then you will not be able to see it in the view because it is below the View Depth range.

Ryan Ortega
MEP BIM Lead
Aurecon Group - Dubai, UAE
www.ryanortega-bimportfolio.com
Message 7 of 18
hamdibr
in reply to: CADTripper

hello all

I have the same problem, but it is a little more omplicated.

i have 3 kinbd of piping level let say o have floor ground at 0 level with 3000 height :

undergroung : -400

on groung : between 00 aand 300

underceiling : 2900.

with duct we have the level propertie and i can add filter.. with piping i could not find this.

Message 8 of 18
jason.quarry

The view range settings are how you achieve this for sure. However my hvac and pipe systems all have system graphic overrides to control the color of the systems so my engineers can work easier. These overrides actually override the view range "beyond" linetype. I introduced a new filter to make the colors black for use in my arc hitectural drawings and in their finished sheets but leaving the linetype option as by category in the filter does not reinstate the dashed line I am looking for in my underground HVAC drawings. 

IS there a fix for this?

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous

This works great but how do you maintain the line thickness?

Typically the line types that are not bold are existing or out of scope but we need to show it as new.

The project I am working on is a new building and all floors have below slab sanitary plumbing rather than showing the plumbing in the ceiling.

When I adjust the view range the piping line type is overridden to a thinner line. The dashed line pattern is correct but I need it BOLD.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I found a solution...simply change the line weight to what Revit refers to as "beyond" in line styles and make it the same weight as your system weight.

This only works for when you're showing stuff below your view's "bottom" depth but above your view depth.

It may not be the 100% fool proof solution but the drawings seems to make a lot more sense now. Hoping this can be a new standard but we'll see.

Message 11 of 18
fabiosato

Hello,

In our office we usually use view depth and bottom in the same position.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: fabiosato

Michael W. Popovich
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

Ideally yes, we would set our view depth at zero and bottom at zero for ventilation, heating/cooling and fire protection, etc. but for plumbing it is different. Unless you strictly show stuff in the ceiling that serves the fixtures above this will work but for when you have stuff above and below we would need to make a difference.
Message 14 of 18
fabiosato

Hello,

We also use filters to not show the undesired objects.

Usually our bottom is -50cm.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 15 of 18
SWAS317

Hi,

I have a problem similar to this but I CAN get the underground piping to display dashed. However my issue is I need to differentiate between system types. Some system types i want to show dashed underground while at the same time some I need to show solid. for example we show our drain lines underground solid and the vents dashed. is this possible? Help is really appreciated

Message 16 of 18
jason.quarry
in reply to: SWAS317

Can be done with a Filter. Out of the box functionality will not allow it. Dynamo may be able to help as well.

Message 17 of 18

You could use filters or you could just apply graphic settings within the system type properties to cover the solid line for drainage below slabs and use the same method or previous view range methods for the vent. There are many ways to solve problems in Revit, up to you which you find the easiest and simplest way to manage your model whilst also considering making it as easy as possible for others to pick up and understand what you did.
IMHO - whilst Dynamo is the next big thing that we live to play with and can benefit from, it can sometimes be a little overkill for dealing with some of the simpler modelling strategy, settings based issues, etc.

Thank you!
Message 18 of 18
lionel.kai
in reply to: NDYAutodesk

@NDYAutodesk wrote:

Would be nice to be able to filter by height but dioesn't appear to be readilt available, would like someone to prove me wrog on that one.

You CAN Filter by Invert Elevation: https://revitmep.blogspot.com/2008/03/showing-pipe-below-slab-in-revit-mep.html

Lionel J. Camara
BIM Manager at KAI Hawaii, Inc. - Structural and Forensic Engineers
Autodesk Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report