Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

snap to angle with linear family.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
revitworkbench
578 Views, 4 Replies

snap to angle with linear family.

If I remember correctly, you (used to) be able to switch between and linear snap and an angular snap in a linear based family. For example you can go to draw dimensional lumber for example, click  the starting point and then type "10" and it would draw a 10' piece of lumber at what ever angle you were pointing it at. How do you switch to the Angle snap, so that if I type in "10" the little blue angle "dimension" that  accompanies the linear dimesion is set ot 10 degrees? I seem to remember being able to snap back and forth between the two, but I forgot how. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ajax05k
in reply to: revitworkbench

Did u mean this

Snap.png

Ajay K. HVAC Designer, BIM Modeler
Message 3 of 5
revitworkbench
in reply to: ajax05k

Hello, Thanks for replying but no, that is not what I mean. That is merely an option of the array tool. I'm attaching an image to help you understand what I mean. If I type in "10" at this particular instant in the picture the pipe would be drawn 10' at 33 degrees from the original pipe I want to know the command to switch how the length is the "active input" (indicated by its darker blue color,) to the angle input being the "active input" so that if typed in the command which I thought was something like Shift+Spacebar, the angle would become the "active input" (dark blue) so that if I type in "10" at the same instant the pipe would be drawn at 10 degrees from the original pipe at 9'11" long. Does that make sense?

Message 4 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: revitworkbench

I know this is done using Dynamic Input in AutoCAD (hit TAB to toggle between linear/angle input) but I don't recall this being a part of Revit. I went back to Revit 2012 and played around with this and could not find such functionality. ~shrugs~

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 5

It's still a wishlist item for Revit. It's part of AutoCAD MEP, Architecture when you sketch walls for example, you can toggle between distance and angle input via the keyboard.

In Revit 2014 and newer you can define specific angles for duct, pipe, conduit, and cable tray sketching. You can sketch at any angle initially but Revit will adjust the resulting run to the closest defined angle. It's a bit counterintuitive workflow but it does provide consistent angles for our layouts.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report