Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

show me the formula

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
EddieFromDC
552 Views, 6 Replies

show me the formula

Hello,

This the "Wye 45 Deg Reducing - PVC - Sch 40 - DWV.rfa". We save this as Part Type "Tee" instead of a "Wye"

so that we could use it both as a Wye (figure 1) and tee fitting (figure 2).

Untitled.png

The problem is that the distance between the sockets and pipe if it was use for a tee fitting is too large. I can't figure out what parameter and formula that controls this lenght/distance.

Can somebody please show me where it is. I would really appreciate it.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: EddieFromDC

If the parameter "Angle" remains at a constant 90°, then the horizontal lengths (right and left) are derived from the parameter "Length 2", from which the value is ultimately derived from the parameters:

"Socket Bottom to Socket Bottom Run"

"Center to Socket Bottom Run"

These two formulas reference a value from the lookup table specified by the parameter "Lookup Table Name".

So you can create a new table and change the values, which I have not dug into.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Easy Solution:

Since the angle will remain a constant 90°, the root of these lengths can be derived from the parameter "Length 2". The actual controlling parameters are:

"Center to Socket Bottom Run Label 1"

"Center to Socket Bottom Run Label 2"

"Center to Socket Bottom Branch Label"

Change the formula for each of these three parameters to: "=Length 2". Then, you can create a formula for "Length 2", the control these equal lengths based on the greatest connected pipe size:

If (and(Nominal Radius 1 > Nominal Radius 2, Nominal Radius 1 > Nominal Radius 3), Nominal Radius 1, If (and(Nominal Radius 2 > Nominal Radius 1, Nominal Radius 2 > Nominal Radius 3), Nominal Radius 2, Nominal Radius 3)) * 2

The above will take the greatest size and multiply it by 2 to get the length for all three sides.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
EddieFromDC

CADastrophe,

I think I undestand but I'm a little bit confuse. Could you please if you have a minute change/edit the fitting in my previous post. That way I can compare the before & after...Thanks.

Message 4 of 7
CoreyDaun

No problem. Attached is the "EASY" solution, RMEP 2012. And as always, feel free to ask whatever questions you need.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 7
EddieFromDC

Hmm..I see what you did....But now its a dedicated "Tee" fitting. I was thinking I could make

from "Wye to Tee" or "Tee to Wye" fitting by just dragging the pipe connected to socket & 

connector 3 45 degrees.

I could do with OTB fittring but the "length" was the issue (after changing the part type to "Tee").

Do you think I can still accomplish this?

Message 6 of 7
CoreyDaun

Sorry, misinterpreted exactly what you were looking for, attach is the new family. The formulas have been added to as per below, with the addition in bold text. This creates overriding values for the Tee (90° Angle).

Changed formula of "Length 2" to:

if(Angle = 90°, if(and(Nominal Radius 1 > Nominal Radius 2, Nominal Radius 1 > Nominal Radius 3), Nominal Radius 1, if(and(Nominal Radius 2 > Nominal Radius 1, Nominal Radius 2 > Nominal Radius 3), Nominal Radius 2, Nominal Radius 3)) * 2, Socket Bottom to Socket Bottom Run - Center to Socket Bottom Run)

Changed formula for "Center to Socket Bottom Branch Label" to:

if(Angle = 90°, Length 2, if(or(Angle = 45°, Angle = 135°), Center to Socket Bottom Branch, if(Length 1 > Max Socket Outside Radius 12, Center to Socket Bottom Branch, Max Socket Outside Radius 123 / tan(Angle 1 / 2))))

Message 7 of 7
EddieFromDC

CADastrophe,

YES!,.,.This was exactly what I was looking for...I thank you for the quick responses and lesson.

THANK YOU!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report