I have a (4) floor, (5) phased job with (3) sectors per floor setup in Revit 2011. The job is going to be constructed vertical and horizontal as it is a expansion and reno. In otherwords, it's a tricky. The job is setup fine and work is moving along, its the printing that is the problem.
The printing for the MEP is all DEMO first, then all NEW. As you can imagine, that doesn't show the evolution of construction very well. I have been printing and then organizing by hand.
It seems the method the sheets are setup in Project Browser dictates the method it prints. If I change the hiearchy of sheets (see attached), it does not change the printing. Changing the index doesn't do anything. (see attached)
I ran a add-on batch plot but that still requires organizing the sheets and it does not remember the order each time I use it. Not to mention it takes 1:30min to process a sheet. I have 125 sheets for mechanical.
HOW DO I MAKE IT SO THAT HOW THE PROJECT BROWSER IS SETUP IS THE WAY THE PRINTING IS DONE????
E.g. Phase 1 mechanical: DEMO mech, DEMO piping, NEW mech, NEW piping. (the attachement on the shows the browser correctly but now I need it to print)
I feel your pain. The printing order cannot be changed from what I've found. There is no way to link to the Project Browser's or the Index's order. What we have done is save each section as a View/Sheet Set, printed each set, and the combine the PDF's (or whatever) using an appropriate program. We've also plotted them all at once and then rearranged with that program as well. A royal pain either way. It would be a great thing to be able to SORT the sheets listed in the View/Sheet Set dialog by a Project Parameter or something.
The only way I can immediately think of to achieve this is to use the SHEET NUMBER parameter as the sorting parameter, meaning that this parameter would be your "0.1", "1.01", etc., and then you could create an alternate parameter (named something like "TRUE SHEET NUMBER") within the title block to display the desired Sheet Number. I have not gotten the chance to test this yet, so if you do, please let me know how (or if) it works.
Welcome to the Autodesk forums, CADFLL!
Feel free to post any questions you may have! There are many experienced users here who generously contribute their time and effort to supporting
their peers. This is an open, peer-supported forum, so feel free to contribute any useful information or experiences to any of the topics you see here.
We hope you'll stick around a while and help strengthen the value of this community!
Be sure to review the Ground Rules, visit the FAQ Forum, and use the Search feature prior to posting a question, as it's likely been asked before.
If I change it to my companies setup hiearchy it looks like this attached clip. As you can see the project browser matches the print organization.
If it matches this way, can I match it another way?
I like your idea on the sheet and phasing solution but this shows there is some sort of connection between the project browser and the print organizer, no?
The Project Browser can be sorted however you wish, but by default it sorts by Sheet Number alphanumerically. This can be changed to sort according to other parameters. The list in the Print / Select Sheets dialog has no sorting capability at all, so it sorts by Sheet Number alphanumerically. Period. There is no relationship between the two, just same sorting method. Mechanical Demo comes after Mechanical New because the "MD" comes after "M-".
I am in the process of testing the theory I mentioned above, and I'll post with what I find.
I set up a simple, blank Project that contains MPE & FP, New and Demo Sheets. I used the default Revit border.
I first opened the Revit border for editing. I copied the SHEET NUMBER label to the side and placed explanatory information near it. I then created Type Parameters to control the visibility of the label and the extra text info. Then I changed the normal label to display "APPROVED BY" since we do not use that parameter for anything. See attach image "TitleBlockMod.JPG". This information will display until PLOT MODE is activated, in which it becomes invisible.
Next, I create a Sheet Index which displays "SHEET NUMBER" for sorting only, and "APPROVED BY" which is our 'fake' sheet number. Since "Approved By" is displayed on the Title Block, the Sheets will display correctly. And now that the "Sheet Number" is modified, the plot list displays in the correct order. See attached images "SheetIndex.JPG" and "PlotSheetOrder.JPG".