Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section box secrets

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
revitworkbench
9315 Views, 5 Replies

Section box secrets

I thought there was a way to align the section box to a plane but I forgot how. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: revitworkbench

No, you cannot use align option to align the section box with a plane, but by using rotate option you can get close to what you want,

1)First Draw two reference plane in any of the floor plan, one inline with the section box and other inline with the face/wall/plane as you want.
2)Open 3D view, click on the section box then change the view to that floor plan in which you drew the reference plane.
3) Click on the rotate option (don't worry the section box will disappear but, you can still rotate it) now snap the "Center of Rotation" to the intersection of the reference planes (as shown in img) next thing rotate to the required reference plane.Section box.jpg

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

This is way late, but you can actually cut a section (either by tracing over the reference plane or just drawing one) and then in 3D view you can use the little drop down on the bottom right of your view cube to use the "orient to view" command to orient the 3d model to the section. (or plan etc.)

http://www.cad-notes.com/revit-orient-to-view-benefits/

Message 4 of 6
AJA14
in reply to: Anonymous

Just to add to cpalm, the orient to view only works if you use the building section family and not the detail section family.
Another thing you could do is use one of the apps from the exchange apps.
Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

I was actually playing with this again. You can align to a reference plane. But you have to name it first in the instance properties. Then you can use align to plane and it should appear in your list of available work planes.
Message 6 of 6
Seychellian
in reply to: Anonymous

Why god does it have to be this complicated. I just want to align my section box to my rotated view. I sometimes feel like Revit is an elaborate form of torture being exacted on us unsuspecting guinea pigs. please just understand that sometimes we would like to rotate section boxes with precision. Is it too much to ask?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report