Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scope Boxes "Invisible" on any MEP view discipline

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
casquatch
1768 Views, 7 Replies

Scope Boxes "Invisible" on any MEP view discipline

Hello,

I've found an interesting glitch. Something I haven't run into before and haven't found much of anything online about it.

In a new file created from our MEP template, I hop into a plan view and draw a scope box. Once the scope box is drawn and deselected, it appears to be gone. Only by hovering over it do I have the ability to see and select it. Makes it hard to find unless I know where it is.

I tried this same thing in our Architectural template and the scope box behaved normally. Only then did I figure out that the scope box changes to "invisible" when the view's discipline is set to any MEP discipline. They work fine in Arch, Struct & Coodrination, but not Mech, Plumb or Elec. It doesn't matter what the template is or what view it is in, it appears when the discipline is changed away from an MEP view discipline setting.

I don't believe this is by design. So I'm wondering if it's just my setup? I did have another co-worker try and they got the same results. Is anyone else seeing this?

I am running 2014 Revit x64 with Update 2 installed.

Thanks,
Casey

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jkarben
in reply to: casquatch

In MEP views I've found that half the scope boxes disappears, the top and right side. Thanks for the tip about changing disciplines.

Interersting...in a MEP discipline view the scope box becomes a "underlay" object. You are not able to pick it if you have chosen to have underlay object non-selectable in 2014. Once you change it to Arch, Struct or Coordination it is no longer an underlay object.

Message 3 of 8
casquatch

No problem. I'm hoping to have a solution, I don't think it used to be this way in previous versions.

It is as if the Scope Box is setup as an Architectural item and behaves like a wall, door or window. The only difference is that is becomes invisible instead of just halftoned. Halftoned I could deal with, but when we use the disciplines to sort things in the Project Browser of our MEP file, it doesn't make sense to change the discipline just to see the scope boxes then change it back.

I'm thinking this is something that will need addressing in an update/patch.

Message 4 of 8
SteveKStafford

It's been quirky like this at least as far back as Revit 2012. The Select Underlay Elements affect is obviously new to 2014 since that's when we got the option. Most of the time people want to hide scope boxes faster than a litter box when guests arrive. 🙂

Do you print documents with them visible? If so you may need to create a detail component or annotation symbol that will give you consistent results when you print. Since this issue has been present in at least three versions I suspect it's well off the radar of development for resolving.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 5 of 8
casquatch

I guess I never noticed it as much in previous versions. We've used them in many 2012 projects and I feel like I would have heard something about them going missing entirely. I did just throw one in 2012 and I do see that the top and right sides are missing, I do remember something like that before. Swapping to Arch/Struct/Coord does show the entire thing.

This is different than what I am seeing in 2014 though, the entire thing is missing, not just parts of it.

We don't print them, just use them for crop regions. Which is also not a big deal once the view has been set to use the Scope Box as the view's crop. It's just getting that initial setup done that I think will be hard for users when they create the scope box and then it's invisible.

I'll just try and get the word out that switching temporarily to Coordination will solve the issue.

Thanks for the replies!

Casey

Message 6 of 8
SteveKStafford

Then I'd just set up coordination views to manage the scope boxes, if/when necessary. I'd switch to those views to adjust them and then back to my regular views for routine work.

Btw, at first I thought maybe it was just my graphics and video card but, as you say, switching the view discipline fixes the graphics so it seems to be something in the wiring of the two features.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 7 of 8
casquatch

Good call. I'll suggest that.

Yeah, I was thinking graphics too. I turned off hardware acceleration and it still didn't do anything. I also checked on another machine, same situation. Then I found the discipline change.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 8
ldrider82

Hmmmm.. I'm runing 2014, 64 as well and have the same issue. Parts of the scope boxes are missing when the view is set to any of the MEP disciplines.

And they display completly when set to Arch, Struc, or Coordination.

So of course, when you set the view to coordination, the architectural link appears dark.

It works the same way in 2013 and 2012. I just haven't had to use them until now.

Revit behaving badly....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report