Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule customization question

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
MuirEng
309 Views, 4 Replies

Schedule customization question

Hi,

I just wrote a post about my take on the schedule formula features of Revit (really bad), purpose of this post is to see if I can develop a workaround to solve a particular requirement.

what I want to do is set up a column in a schedule. By way of explaination in AutoCAD MEP my formula would look like this

If CatalogNumber="" then

result = Type Name

else

result = CatalogNumber

end if

where CatalogNumber is string (and may contain alpha numeric values)

This doesn't work in Revit, for two reasons:

- conditions based on strings not supported

- Type Name is not a parameter that shows up in the formula editor

Ideas, suggestions?

Brian Muir, P.Eng, Muir Engineering
Dedicated Sub Forum For Electrical
Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
L.Maas
in reply to: MuirEng

See also my reply on your other post as a possible solution (DYNAMO).

As an alternative you should consider modifying your families. That looks like a possibility to build your if-then-else.

If in your family you have both the type parameters "Type Name" and "catalog number". You could add "result" as additional parameter and fill it with the catalog number or type name. Then in your schedule you only have to worry about scheduling the "result" parameter.

It is always good to think ahead when building your families. What you put in and what you need to get out of them again. 

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 5
MuirEng
in reply to: L.Maas

Hi, thanks for the advice. I considered doing it this way but expected to run in to the same problem, i.e. needing string logic to check the catalog for void and if void populating result from the type name. Perhaps you could elaborate just a wee bit on the statement

add "result" as additional parameter and fill it with the catalog number or type name.

please?

The backstory on this is that I am using manufacturer libraries for some content, with additional parameters. Some files have the catalog number as the Type Name, and for those I would rather just leave our custom catalog name parameter blank

Thanks!
Message 4 of 5
L.Maas
in reply to: MuirEng

That is what I mean with fill...you open the families, add the (type)parameter "Result" (or other name you like).

You go through the different types and fill the "Result" parameter with the text of your choosing (i.e. Type Name or Catalog Number).

So basically you function as the if then else. This works if you have families with a few types.

If you have families with many types, hopefully with a type catalog. You can load the type catalog in excel (or similar) and use the excel if-then functions to fill the result column.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 5
MuirEng
in reply to: L.Maas

ahhh...right.

we are using type catalogs for sure, some families have many types.

I probably getting a student in as an intern for a while.... guess who gets to do that?

thanks.

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report