Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save group outside project causes loss of system

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dtiemeyer
518 Views, 6 Replies

Save group outside project causes loss of system

If I create a simple group with an air terminal and a duct, and the duct is on the Supply Air system, if I Save that group to a file it will strip the system information from the duct. Why? Then if I import that group into a different project the system info is still missing.

Why does this happen?

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

I am trying to reproduce the issue but I can't. I may missunderstood some steps.

When say simple group, did you mean select the air supply and duct then you select group feature to group them?

And how you are able to see the system information of a groupe?

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 3 of 7

I am not sure what is the issue but verify The phases and worksets

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 4 of 7

I have a simple air terminal and connected to it is a duct that rises vertically 2', then an elbow, then a duct that travels horizontally for 5'. Those 3 ducts are on the return air system, which I have set to be Magenta in color via Families > Duct Systems. All 4 of those items are grouped. I want to reuse this group, so I choose Save Group...  command from the Project Browser. Upon doing so, when the group appears briefly in the editor, the duct color is now white.  If I start a new project from the same template that was used to create the project hosting the initial group, I can 'Load as Group' and pick that .RVT file, then when I use the 'Create Instance' command it places the components but the duct is now white. When I ungroup it and select the ducts, its properties say: System Type = Undefined;  System Abbreviation = <grayed out, cannot access>

Phases are identical and worksets do not exist at this point.

Message 5 of 7

As long you keep the original parts without deleting them, the grouping will work due to the active system where revit will be able to create a similar group with the same properties.

Here is a video that will show you the issue in details and what you need to do to keep the same color

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/75712ace-e0f0-4d64-a3eb-35fdf0dca359

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Message 6 of 7

So then what you are saying is that if I ever delete the original group, I am not able to create other instances of that group? Because the 'system' has been deleted?

Doesn't that basically make groups useless for MEP?

Message 7 of 7

Keep in mind MEP system are very sensitive when come to phases, design option and groups, the moment they are absent they become invalid or disconnected. System is more of an analytical data where these kinds of features could affect them. These features exist before Revit MEP, the development is aware of it but logically Revit mep is not able to remember these systems if they are not active in the project. The system browser will detect what is active only for calculation purpose, so this is why you are having the issue. You could have template where all the groups are active and you could copy past into the project.

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report