Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating a Family

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
922 Views, 6 Replies

Rotating a Family

I created a Unistrut General Fittings family. When I insert the family it will rotate in plan view (floor plan), but when I try to rotate it along the z axis in on of the elevation views its giving me a message that it can't rotate the fitting in that position. I've unchecked the "Always Vertical" box in the family, it still wont rotate

Is there a parameter in the family that I need to address in order to get the fitting to rotate in the z axis?

Thank You

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
adam.jw
in reply to: Anonymous

Might be associated with some kind of workplane/surface.

Post the family so that we might download it and analyze it ourselves 🙂

in reply to: adam.jw

There are just two fittings in this family so far. If you see anything else that I can do to make this family perform better, feel free to critique.

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
CoreyDaun

Sorry for the delay of response. What Template did you use to create this Family?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I used the generic model.rft

Message 6 of 7
CoreyDaun

You're not going to be able to just freely rotate this Family into any position. My suggestion is to make this Family a "Work Plane-Based" Family, which is an option that can be found under the Family Category and Parameters. This will allow you to host the element to a Face or a Reference Plane. To see what I mean, make this change to your Family and then load it into a blank Project. Create an "In-Place" extrusion (just a box, any Category) and then go to a 3D View. Place a few instances of your Family on difference faces of the box and see how they behave.

If this does not suit your needs, please elaborate a bit on what you are ultimately trying to accomplish with this Family.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 7 of 7
Sandleaz
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Try to categorize it as something other than Generic Model and mirror it about a line.

Rotated Family.jpg 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report