Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate Legend Component

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
daleg77
33145 Views, 16 Replies

Rotate Legend Component

Is there a way to rotate legend components?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
CoreyDaun
in reply to: daleg77

Nope. Legends are not very MEP-friendly.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 17
daleg77
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks. I will create a family for any symbols I need rotating.

Message 4 of 17
vewright
in reply to: CoreyDaun

The question should be,

Why isn't there a way to rotate legend components?

Legends are great, for one reason--you can place a legend on more than one sheet! And that is exactly what you need to be able to do with a legend. However, when I began to use legends, I quickly discovered that dragging a family into a legend view didn't work very well. A few families behave "properly"--that is, you can select the view you want for the legend. Doors work well. But, if you are an MEP designer, you are out of luck in most cases. If you select the front view of a panelboard, for example, it might be the front view, or it might be a side view. Or, you might get a front view with the panelboard lying on its side. If you are lucky, you might just have to select a back view to get a front view.

One of Revit's strengths is that if you change something on one view of the model, it changes in every view, because views are just that--views of a single model. However, it a real design project, you need to have "views" that are not part of the model. For example, an HVAC designer needs to have a schematic view of the HVAC system to show logical relationships that cannot be conveyed in the basic 3D model. A set of electrical drawings needs to include a riser diagram, or a single-line diagram of the electrial systems. It would be very useful to be able to use legend components in these schematic views--you could use a view of a pump, the same pump used in the model, as a symbol in the HVAC schematic diagram, or an elevation view of a panelboard in a riser diagram, instead of searching for suitable symbols, or pulling in a 2D AutoCAD drawing, or any of the other "workarounds" you can find in the various forums. 

If you have to use a workaround to accomplish a task, then something is missing from your basic toolbox! You can layout a right angle with a knotted string, but a square is much handier.

Revit needs an "auxiliary" design space. Yes, you can use phases or design options to address some of the tasks mentioned above. However, legends would fill the bill, if they just worked!

Message 5 of 17
bvm76

There is no way to rotate a component legend when placed in a legend view. As a workaround, you can use the coarse and medium detail to represent your symbol with the correct orientation in the legend view. Create a two symbols with your 3D family - one for displaying in a project (medium detail) and one for legend view (coarse). Rotate the symbol (to be use in the legend) so it will display correctly. This means you need to use coarse detail to all your symbols in legend view.   

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered!
Thank You.
Message 6 of 17
vewright
in reply to: bvm76

I am always glad to see a response to a post. However, this is a workaround,
not a solution. If you could rotate legend components, you could use legends
for details, schematic diagrams, etc. Admittedly, this approach would allow
you to do that, but with more work and the limitation of having to use the
coarse detail level. Another, related, limitation is that not all six views
are available in all families. This is probably due to the number of views
defined in the family, but it is still a limitation.
Message 7 of 17
bvm76
in reply to: vewright

The intention of this workaround is to have the symbol for legend use and if this can be use for other purposes then that's a bonus. For me, creating a dedicated symbol for legend to show up correctly in legend view will only take a little time compared to the benefit you can get from it. I prefer to have a symbol that represents the families loaded/used in a project (where possible) rather than a dummy symbol.

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered!
Thank You.
Message 8 of 17
tom_durfee

Load the Annotation Symbol into the project, then you can drop it in your Legend view or directly in a sheet, rather than the 'device'.

You'll have to 'extract' it from the family, which is easy, but could be tedious for many families. 

Select the family, Edit, select the symbol, edit, load into project (not the device family). 

You may have to manually enter text; for instance if you had the text linked to the device's "Symbol Label" - ie- [CR] for card reader.

edit... a few minutes later...

Also, I've just discovered you can insert an image into a schedule, so I'm testing; may hit another roadblock along the way

- edit the annotation symbol, zoom all the way into the symbol resize the revit application window so it's the same shape as the symbol, export as image, fiddle with the settings to your liking but make sure to check "Visible portion of current window", *set the destination folder*, save,

- then in your schedule add Image as a parameter, then for each row you can load the images.

Now you're at the mercy of the family or shared parameters in your schedule, so use them to enter all the data for the schedule; rather than entering raw text. - Does this seem to be best practice for future use?

{Revit 2017}

Message 9 of 17
tom_durfee
in reply to: tom_durfee

^ ... AND/OR load the image into the family/type so its there for the next project.

Message 10 of 17
T-Button

This is a bit of an outdated post, but I have found that most families that are oriented incorrectly are primarily a result of how they were modeled, such as being model in a view where top is actually front because the host is oriented as a floor. Simple workaround is to load such family into a new family that is orientated properly, front is actually front, and then load into a project, solves the orientation issue without recreating families or messing around with annotations. But may have to create a few parameters for size adjustments if needed.

Message 11 of 17
trey.ruiz
in reply to: T-Button

Another solution here could be to create two copies of the Generic Annotation within the family, one for the floor plan, and one for the legend.  Two instance parameters can be created, one set for true as default, and the other set to the formula as the "not" of the first parameter.

For additional protection, I then used Rush Forworth to make the parameters hidden so the parameter is not used in the model.

Message 12 of 17
nathaniel.mcmahon

How about a little dropdown toggle that lets you select legend display orientation Autodesk? I mean really, finish what you've started. 

Message 13 of 17
jdcarlingJQBC3

no rotating a component is bad .... not being able to tag it is worse.

Message 14 of 17

the solution here is not a solution at all. booo. fix it autodesk

Message 15 of 17

Maybe, but it is still a valid statement. 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 16 of 17

Agreed RobDraw! The user communities amazing creativity and problem solving ability is why we all keep coming back to these forums! it's just a shame Autodesk have historically been so slow at fixing fundamental workflows.

Message 17 of 17
madonna.saliba
in reply to: bvm76

This worked for me, since all my sheet views are in fine mode, and the legend component detail level can be selected separately for each item, thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report