Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

room names...space tag or room tags?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
EddieFromDC
3303 Views, 6 Replies

room names...space tag or room tags?

Hello,

For now the only reason why we use spaces are for room names.

What is best method for room names? Spaces then space naming utility or room tags.

If architect changes/deletes a room. I notice my model's space tags will update. (But in

some cases the spaces are all over the place and unnamed).

As for room tags, some room tags don't update. They end up wth "?". I have to erase all

room tags then "tag all" again.

So whats the best way method for room names?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: EddieFromDC

I would suggest using Room Tags and tagging the Rooms through the architectural model. If the architect changes or moves Rooms around, you'll get that "?" if the Tag is now located outside of the Room that it's referring to. If you select it, a line should appear indicating which Room it's associated with. Spaces will not automatically move to accommodate the moved Rooms, which can lead to a messy situation if there are significant special revisions.

You should also get a message upon opening that some Room Tags are outside of their Rooms, if the architect has changed any.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
EddieFromDC
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Corey,

Thank you!...One more question. If arch just change the room name in his/her model.

will it update my room tag or  leave it as a "?". 

Message 4 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: EddieFromDC

If you have directly tagged the architect's Room through the Linked Model, then yes, your Room Tag will display the correct and updated information. It's pulling the info straight from their model.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 7
EddieFromDC

Thank you again...Thats good to know. Cause everytime we see a "?", we select all instances of the

room tag for that view & erase all and just "tag all" again. The problem we that is that some users

move room tags around if it clusters/obscure other text and work....Thank you again.

Message 6 of 7
fosland1

I don't recommend this method for MEP plans however, as 1. You won't be able to reposition the room tags in your host model if needed, and 2. The room tags will cover your MEP elements even though the link is set to overlay. I believe it's how annotation objects take precedence over everything else, but using linked room tags is not ideal for MEP projects. We tag the architects rooms in our host model but sometimes when updating we do have issues with the tags appearing as (?) when the architect deletes and recreates rooms or does something that disassociates our room tags with their rooms. I have another thread asking what is the fastest/best way to correct this in our host model when you're dealing with a large project and thousands of dissociated room tags. That's the only downside I see of tagging their rooms.

Message 7 of 7
RobDraw
in reply to: fosland1

@fosland1 wrote:

I don't recommend this method for MEP plans however, as 1. You won't be able to reposition the room tags in your host model if needed, and 2. The room tags will cover your MEP elements even though the link is set to overlay. 

1. Yes room tags can be moved.

2. Not if you move them.

I think that you misread the post.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report